The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my brake pedal is too high and is higher than my throttle for 3cm...

Has anyone of you tried ( and succeed ) to change his brake pedal position adjusting his heigth with the locknut that's installed beside it?

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Heel and toe is poor with car left in normal mode if that is what you're after. However, if you switch to sport mode throttle responses is much quicker and heel toe is great. It is set up to be ideal under track conditions which I can vouch for!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Euh???
That was not my point. My brake pedal is too high, and i'd like to set it in order to have the brake pedal and the throttle at the same level : it makes you be quicker while changing pedal, and it allows heel and toe, which a was on my Elise and is just impossible with the big distance i have between my 2 pedals. I know it's configurable, but i don't know how!

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Is the pedal too high when you're applying pressure or when you're feet are off them? If it's the latter that sounds right - when you use full force it should then be somewhat even with the throttle so you can easily reach over for heel-toe. If it's the same height with no pressure applied then it would go far too low for you to be able to reach the throttle when you have the brakes engaged.

So it sorta sounds like it's correct - now that said if you want to change it I don't see how that's a problem unless you want to be able to heel-toe...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, pushing the pedal, it only has a little run ( around 1 cm max ), so even while braking, i still have a big height difference between throttle and brake pedal.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
You are correct in height. Is this a street driving issue? Brakes are great on Evora and you won't get at all deep in pedal till at track speeds and braking levels. Did you notice how much more quickly the rpms climb in sport mode? As an Elise owner I KNOW what you're talking about. I can't heel/toe at all in normal mode as I can't get any "blip". Very easy in sport mode however. Please try this first.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You are correct in height. Is this a street driving issue? Brakes are great on Evora and you won't get at all deep in pedal till at track speeds and braking levels. Did you notice how much more quickly the rpms climb in sport mode? As an Elise owner I KNOW what you're talking about. I can't heel/toe at all in normal mode as I can't get any "blip". Very easy in sport mode however. Please try this first.

As I understand this, what he is saying has nothing to do with heel and toeing. His issue is that when he lifts off the throttle he can not just slide his foot across to the brake peddle but has to lift his foot high to get it on to the brake.

There is obviously a big difference between the level of the brake pedal and the throttle pedal height with both feet off the pedals and he wants to level out the difference so that he can get off the throttle and on the brakes quicker.

Maybe I am wrong but that is how I interpret his opening post

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yeah, I've got pretty much the same brake-throttle height difference issue on my car. Yet others I've driven are properly matched & are super-easy to heel & toe.

My car...it's so touch & go I won't go there lest I slip off the brake at a critical moment!

I would love to level them properly like my 111R was. It begged to be driven properly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TXTBRIT and hifiandmtb : you're right!!!!

I aslo add an Elise, and the pedal were at the same level, so changing pedal from throttle to brake was quicker than on my Evora, on which i need not only to make a translation with my foot ( it's longer and when in long trafic congestion it can create some pain in my leg!!! )

So i'd like to know how to make my pedal being lower, at the same level than my throttle pedal.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I believe you'll just pull the cotter pin, slide out the pin, unlock the nut and clockwise turn the brake yoke several turns as I don't see why it would be different than the Elise. You won't even get stuck in the Evora. Should be a 10 minute job.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The issue on my Evora, is that you don't have a nut on the brake yoke ( but you have ... Should i need a pliers??? I don't want to brake anything.

And for the switch light it's easy, you have to dismount it turning the switch a quarter turn ( on left or right ), then you can take it, and you can pull the little trigger for let say 1 cm, and then push it ( firmly ), and adjust the distance ( after you pulled it, you can push this button, and it will click mm per mm until you arrive at the right position ). Then you can reassemble it to his initial position.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The Evora brake pedal *is* adjustable - photo from my car:

I've not adjusted anything yet as when I do, I need to move the brake light switch to suit. The bracket is riveted to the dash structure & you have no adjustability built into the system.

I will likely have to elongate the mounting holes & use mini-rivnuts or something. Will think a bit more about it.

I don't understand how the switch could be internally adjustable - mine seems like a sealed unit?

·
Registered
359 Posts
No go for me I'm afraid...not unless you do a lot more disassembly.

Once the locating pin is out, you can't withdraw the pedal far enough to allow room for the fingered bracket to spin. It's still in either side of the pedal arm & can't turn.

A bummer indeed :eek:

I suppose one option would be to pull off a single wheel (or reach through the wheel spokes) & undo a brake caliper bleed nipple. You *should* be able to push the rod into the brake booster assembly & *then* turn the fingered bracket. A bit of hassle though...and would require a few people to help out!

·
Registered
18 Posts
For me, the brake pedal is not too high for heel and toe. The foot is under the throttle pedal when I brake. I also tried to adjust it but had the same problem...

I managed to adjust it as the locknut turns with the brake shaft. But I don't manage to unlock the nut from the brake shaft as there is no way to hold the shaft and prevent it from turning.

Did someone find a solution?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Thread bump!

I'm getting comfortable enough with my car to want to heel-toe the downshifts now. However my brake/gas pedals are level at rest, which makes blipping the throttle near impossible when the brake pedal is depressed. This is made worse by the fact that (being a right-hand-drive car) the pedal box is over to the left some way and I am already sorta hitting the brake pedal from the right.

Having read about the brake pedal + switch adjustment, and not wanting to mess with the throttle cable, I'd rather just bring the brake (and maybe clutch) pedals forward. Is it possible to simply machine a metal spacer to put between the pedal pad and the pedal arm?

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Would something like Sector 111's HNTpad help? I think it's designed to fix exactly what you're describing

HNTpad ? (Heel & Toe) from Sector111

You could also try the DBWpedals to make them larger/easier

DBWpedals

Someone smarter than I can chime in as to how you adjust the pedal height, I suppose I'm fortunate that my pedals are in essentially perfect. When you say you're getting comfortable do you mean you're just learning or it's old hat and you're just learning it in your Elige? If it's new to you my advice is find a big parking lot or empty road and just go back and forth practicing. 2nd->3rd->4th heel-toe-into-3rd, HNT->2nd. Rinse, repeat.

Anyone know if you can actually adjust the pedal height directly?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts