The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my '06 Elise out for a short drive this afternoon. It was about 30 degrees Fahrenheit. I still have the original tires, not snowtires, and was prepared for unsteady grip. However, something strange happened near the end of my 1-1/2 mile drive. As I gently braked, I felt and heard a vibration, somewhat like a dentist's drill. :eek: I confirmed that as I pressed harder, the vibration continued. -eek-

What the h___ is this? :confused: ABS? If so, should I be feeling it in the pedal?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
yes, ABS feels like the pedal is pushing back and does so with high speed pulses... like a buzzing.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I've always felt that everyone should get a chance to feel how the ABS works on their car... in an appropriate place & time, of course.

Years ago, I was invited to a Bondurant event sponsored by Ford... one of the things they did was to lay out a large plastic tarp (maybe 100' x 100') with traffic cones set up to simulate an emergency lane change. The tarp was coated with soapy water (very slippery)... you had to drive toward the tarp, enter one set of cones, brake hard, and exit through another set of cones. Two cars were used... one with, and one without ABS.

It made it quite obvious how good ABS could be under panic situations, but more importantly, it let the drivers <b>feel</b> what ABS was like when working.

Sadly, many drivers haven't had the opportunity to safely experience ABS before actually needing and using it.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
And after you do that, you can investigate the elusive ice mode. Which kind of feels like very bad brake fade...good pedal pressure, but no braking force - which could also be cooked brake fluid or faded rotors or pads - fun!

Seriously though it's a good idea to practice some threshold braking on different surfaces in a safe environment. Sometimes I get ABS just driving in my parking garage, and on the track I think it engages at times I don't even know it is.

·
Premium Member
12,150 Posts
And many of the older ones then begin to pump the pedal... :no:.
Absolutely.

I've always felt that everyone should get a chance to feel how the ABS works on their car... in an appropriate place & time, of course.

Sadly, many drivers haven't had the opportunity to safely experience ABS before actually needing and using it.
100%. But, many are not inquisitive or are perhaps lazy.

In snowy, icy condititions, I use ABS as a "traction tester". Of course, one must pick one's spots.

Every snowfall in NJ, people drive as it's the first one ever....:confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts