The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone out with several instructors which have had older cars, bmw, porsche, etc. and at the start of entering the track they apply gas and pump the brake at the same time. I guess to build pressure.

So the question, is this needed in more modern cars and our lotus?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I have gone out with several instructors which have had older cars, bmw, porsche, etc. and at the start of entering the track they apply gas and pump the brake at the same time. I guess to build pressure.

So the question, is this needed in more modern cars and our lotus?
More likely to build brake temperature, as well as checking the brakes for pedal travel, sponginess, etc.

If you're using performance/racing pads, it's a good idea to get some temperature in the pads before using the brakes in earnest.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Is this something you do in your lotus on entry?
I have not but it makes sense on why you would do it.
Just curious how many take this approach.
I used to do this with formula cars, since they require much higher operating temps for the brakes to work well. The Pagid Blues that I use on the Lotus aren't designed to require high temps, so I just brake hard and early on my warm up lap (taking care that no one is close behind me) to get the brakes up to temp. I do stab the brake once or twice on the way out of the pits to make sure there are no surprises.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts