The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles should one expect to drive in a Lotus before the rotors have to be replaced?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
How many miles should one expect to drive in a Lotus before the rotors have to be replaced?
That depends on a lot of things, including how often you track/auto-x your car, what kind of pads you're using, etc. I've got 18k miles with about 10 track days using Pagid Blue pads and I'm about halfway through the rotors.

You really need to measure the thickness of the rotors to know for sure. They're 26mm in thickness when new, 24mm when done. I wouldn't let them get to 24mm though... 24.5mm might be a good time to replace them

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lets say zero track days stock pads.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats a problem. The dealer replaced the rotors. I looked at the bill, and was puzzled I needed rotors so quick. 20k miles, zero track time.. All freeway. The rotors had never been turned either.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Thats a problem. The dealer replaced the rotors. I looked at the bill, and was puzzled I needed rotors so quick. 20k miles, zero track time.. All freeway. The rotors had never been turned either.
Ah, now I see... yep, that sounds unnecessary, unless they were damaged in some other way.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Probably too late now but can you ask to see the old rotors?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
ALWAYS request the old parts except when warranteed.
let them keep the coolant, etc.....
tell them that, when signing the work order, at the drop-off.
keeps them aboveboard.
works well.
sam

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The rotors don't get turned like other cars, just replaced. Replacement needed at 20k is definitely possible.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Jim, is the reason they don't get turned b/c they get below the 24mm thickness too quickly?

I'm @26k. and my factory pads are getting a little thin (which makes me nervous.) the rotors definitely have a lip on the outer edge, which given the minor amount of thickness change allowed, makes me think they might be out of spec...esp if I tried to turn them.

So now I'm looking @ all the options out there.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
most rotor lathes work like a record player. The cutting bit pushes on the rotor, when the cuter hits the hole or groove the cuter moves forward a small amount then hits the rotor again, the bit will now be to deep and this will maybe brake the cutting tip, plus some other not good things.

You need to find someone with a grinding style rotor tool. These are better too. After you get them ground put what was in the front in to the back. The front wears faster.

I have 82,000 miles and still have the stock rotors. Had them ground after the second pad set were on the out. I will need new front rotors next go around (but I will most likely get all four) so unless you track a lot you should be good but be sure to measure them, and measure all 4.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Definitely depends on how you use the car. If you don't track or do any performance driving, they can last quite a long time.

-G

1 - 13 of 13 Posts