The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick Question...

I assume that the small bolt thats used to hold the break rotor to hub is not custom to the Elise. Does anyone know what other car that comes from so I can ask for the right one at the auto parts store?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
155 Posts
Drill them out if they're stuck and don't worry about replacing them. Completely unnecessary, even if you aren't changing out rotors and pads on a regular basis. The pads will hold them in place with the wheels off.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
What he said.

It's almost rare to be able to get them back out without drilling, even with anti sieze.

·
Registered
300 Posts
So I just completed all rotors and pad replacement. The retaining bolt on the rears had to be drilled out and I did not replace them. Ef them I say!

·
Registered
327 Posts
why arent people using impact drivers? its the only way to get them out without drilling. For the record, its just an ordinary M6x16 countersunk bolt available from most hardware stores.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I've never had the slightest trouble removing them with a regular hex key. Maybe I'm the exception. (I do add a touch of anti-seize grease now, but they came out easily the first time as well.)

I think they are useful to keep the rotor and hub holes aligned if you use wheel bolts. I have studs now, but I still keep the screws in. Not sure why, I guess it's just a way to keep track of where they are!

Reactions: hvymtlmcn

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Most people usually leave them out. They are not necessary. Plus you eliminate the hassle of them locking up and you get the weight savings of 2 screws!

·
Registered
277 Posts
You can get replacements at a hardware store. I got mine at the local Lowe's. It's the M6 x 16 as posted by spiller. I couldn't find one with the hex head but was able to find some with Phillips head on them. I bought them just in case I had to drill one out.

After reading all the horror stories about getting these things out I decided to give it a try as I was thinking of replacing my rotors. I went straight to an impact driver as that seemed to be the most effective way other people where able to get them out. It worked like charm and I got all 4 out without stripping any of them. Put some anti-seize on the head and put them back in. Now they come out without a problem.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Yep I just replaced mine this last weekend and like Sarenar said, Lowes has a specialty hardware section and you can pick them up there like .52 a piece. DO NOT even waste the gas or breath to talk to a normal auto shop like Autozone. They dont have them and no idea.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Quick Question...

I assume that the small bolt thats used to hold the break rotor to hub is not custom to the Elise. Does anyone know what other car that comes from so I can ask for the right one at the auto parts store?

Thanks for your help
You know? You can break a brake rotor... :facepalm

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
why arent people using impact drivers? its the only way to get them out without drilling. For the record, its just an ordinary M6x16 countersunk bolt available from most hardware stores.
I bought one and soaked mine overnight with PB blaster before whacking away...

They still wouldn't budge... F'em. I drilled mine out.

I think maybe if the retaining screws and the rotors/wheels were soaked with WD-40 or some such thing before installation these might be easier to remove. The extreme heat excursions of the rotors combined with a little rust make it just about impossible.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I just had all the brake components on my Exige changed at my buddy's shop and all four wouldn't budge. He used impact drivers, penetrating oil, and heated them with a torch. Nothing.

In the end, three came out with A LOT of elbow grease and one had to be drilled out. Never knew it was so common until this thread.

·
2006 Exige
751 Posts
why arent people using impact drivers? its the only way to get them out without drilling.
I soaked mine with pb blaster the night before, then used an impact driver when attempting to remove them. Only one came out without breaking. So I still had to drill three. I left them all out with no problems. Free unsprung weight savings too!

·
Premium Member
11,991 Posts
funniest thing this week.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts