The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stock brake pads on my 2007 Elise. The brakes were dead quiet for the last 1000 miles I've driven since getting the car.

Lately the brakes squeal at low speed and low brake pressure when coming to a stop. Any ideas what may be causing the squeal? The brake pads have approximately 3500 miles on them.

Thanks in advance. :confused:

·
Registered
383 Posts
This is common with all high performance brake pads. Both my Porsches had the same thing. It's caused by the higher metallic content in the pads coming into contact with the metal rotors. Just apply more pressure when stopping!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
As Surge said. For sure take a look, but if they still have some meat, it's just high performance pads. if you want quieter there are options. I have no idea what they are, mine squeal like a pig :)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I solved the squeeking brake problem which is a combination of bad pads(stock, and pagid), and drilled rotors. I now have slotted rotors from s111, and hawk pads, and I have zero squeek now.

Drilled rotors carve the pads unevenly. The holes carve out ruts, and the pad only contacts the smooth part of the disk, causing the squeek. The suggestion to rebed the brakes is really "retarded logic". Your damaging your own brakes by intentionally going really fast, and then slamming on the brakes. If you do enough damage you might re flatten your rotors for a few days of quiet, but you have fixed nothing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts