The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. This has probably been discussed a thousand times but I am desperate so here goes...I have the original MMC on my elise and for months (since I purchased the car) all was fine. Then one day the squeal started and it has become pretty bad. I have since tried copper lube on the back of the pads, also a special brake squeal product and finally also shims. Now tried shims and copper lube. Still no good. Anyone out there with a solution that does not involve going to different discs?

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
There isn't a lot of knowledge on MMC on this side of the pond
Does it squeal when braking or all the time? Does it squeal regardless of brake pressure?
We used to glue the pads to the pistons with special goo.
Sometimes regular brakes can get glazed and it takes a good thromping to shut them up

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
637 Posts
Sometimes regular brakes can get glazed and it takes a good thromping to shut them up
This is quite likely. An Elise weighs nothing and has relatively huge brakes. In street driving, you probably aren't getting the rotors hot enough to clean them off. Consider doing a bedding-in cycle.

·
Super Moderator
3,112 Posts
Common problem. Bedding procedure from 2004, supposedly from Dave Minter himself:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Common problem. Bedding procedure from 2004, supposedly from Dave Minter himself:

Thanks. Interesting post. Read below it more applies to steel discs but still worth a try!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There isn't a lot of knowledge on MMC on this side of the pond
Does it squeal when braking or all the time? Does it squeal regardless of brake pressure?
We used to glue the pads to the pistons with special goo.
Lol no it only squeals when I brake. Otherwise something would be seriously wrong! Will indeed try to apply some decent hard braking this weekend!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hey thanks Keeper. I did not follow this process to the letter but went to a long straight and quiet road. Braked medium five times to warm the up a bit. Then 8 or 9 times really hard until I saw smoke coming off the pads. Then coasted for a few minutes to let it all cool down...and she's quiet like a mouse now! Learnt something!!! Much appreciated!

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,393 Posts
Hey thanks Keeper. I did not follow this process to the letter but went to a long straight and quiet road. Braked medium five times to warm the up a bit. Then 8 or 9 times really hard until I saw smoke coming off the pads. Then coasted for a few minutes to let it all cool down...and she's quiet like a mouse now! Learnt something!!! Much appreciated!
Be aware that just because you've "bedded" the brakes, it doesn't mean you're done. The process is meant to distribute pad material onto the rotors, as the pad (brake pad) to pad (pad material on the rotor) is what really stops your car efficiently (cohesion). The pad material on the rotors will dissipate unless you bed the brakes periodically. Also, once the rotors are hot, you want to let them cool fully without touching the brakes (ideally, overnight). Then you can bed them again before a track day.

San

1 - 8 of 8 Posts