The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on a set of the SS brake lines form Sector 111 and porterfiels R-4S. The brake feels much better (stiffer and shorter stop time).

I have one question the brake still travel a lot. The excessive travel make it hard to heal toe. Is this normal and if so is there a fix.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I just put on a set of the SS brake lines form Sector 111 and porterfiels R-4S. The brake feels much better (stiffer and shorter stop time).

I have one question the brake still travel a lot. The excessive travel make it hard to heal toe. Is this normal and if so is there a fix.
It is definitely normal for 05 cars; I don't know if later cars are that much better. There are various ways to make the set-up friendly to heel-toe, but as far as the "free travel" in the brake pedal, there's no fix I know of. (FWIW, my set-up works for heel-toe: The gas pedal is lowered as much as possible via its adjustment range, and I have a Sector111 heel-toe pad on the brake pedal.)

·
Registered
613 Posts
This was a common issue on '05s. There is an adjustment to bring the brake pedal up to facilitate heel and toe. Do a search. You should find plenty written about this back in late '04 to '05.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Nitro,

The problem with the excessive brake pedal travel is caused by the tolerancing on the output rod of the brake booster. Basically, it is too short and there is a gap between the output rod of the booster and the piston of the master cylinder. How do I know this? I made an adapter plate to mount the master cylinder and removed the booster altogether. Now the pedal is as hard as a rock and there is nearly zero travel before the brakes actuate. Search for threads I have replied to as there was really good thread about a month ago where I told the whole long story.

I still havent worked out an acceptable solution but I need to soon.

Tony

·
Registered
291 Posts
My 968 had the same problem with the tolerance between the booster an MC. I Had thought about fabbing a spacer that could be adjusted with shims or a two-piece threaded spacer, but never got around to it. I'd be very interested in a solution for the Elise. Dead travel is one of my pet peeves, especially when the Tacoma I had didn't exhibit ANY.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts