The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am pretty satisfied with my Lotus, but I am really not a big fan of its stock brakes... What are some of the best brake upgrade kits you would recommend?

Only one I've found is the AP Racing 4 Corner Big Brake Kit (Sector 111). Pretty pricey though..

I saw a thread comparing the AP Racing kit vs. Stoptech, so I went to the Stoptech's website, but they don't list newer Lotus on their site.

Your thoughts?

BTW,

1. I did run a search and didn't find much useful info.
2. I would've posted under "brakes", but for some reason, it said I don't have access to post a new thread there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Patrick, just a thought. Maybe if you spelled the word correctly (i.e. brakes vice "breaks") your search might have yielded some results.;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
first of all, you probably don't want anything to break in your car.

perhaps you should consider upgrading brake pads first before spending the $$$ to upgrade the whole brake system.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Patrick, just a thought. Maybe if you spelled the word correctly (i.e. brakes vice "breaks") your search might have yielded some results.;)
Heyy give 'um a brake !! rotfl the big brake kit seems to be amazing.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Fixed title :)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Patrick,

My personal opinion is that you should just leave it alone since it is your first track day. You are going to have more than enough brakes for what you will be doing. I am still running stock setup and it is fine. At most I would just change the fluid.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
leave it stock and learn how to use the braking system properly.

you (and many others) have the mindset that throwing $ at things(modifications) will make you "better".
it wont;, it will only mask your deficiencies, and you will never learn the basic skill set needed to be where you want to be in any car that you drive.

I loved the stock brake set up.

I do think that you do need a blue radiator, that is money that is very well spent.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
If you don't like the brakes, perhaps there's something wrong with yours. These cars had almost the shortest stopping distances ever when they came here, per Road & Track tests.

I would much rather improve my lap times based on improving my skills rather than just buying parts.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Steel braided brake lines are a good, inexpensive mod for more brake feedback, but he's right, only after you get used to the stock brake setup.

·
Registered
522 Posts
What kind of pads would you recommend?
i doubt you'll feel much of a difference if you don't track it, but try the pagid rs4-2 (pagid blue). it's a good blend for street / track, hardly squeal on the street and good on the track.

plenty discussion on this pagid blue pad.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I am pretty satisfied with my Lotus, but I am really not a big fan of its stock brakes...
A lot of people are jumping in here with opinions, but so far I don't think anyone has asked the key question - what is it about the stock brakes that you're not happy with? What are you trying to improve? Feel, balance, modulation, heat capacity, what? For example, if you just want to improve your stopping distance, consider some stickier tires instead.

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
P -

Have you ever driven a car w/better brakes?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmm... I think I should get the brakes checked. The brakes on my Lotus feels about the same as the stock brakes on my SUV...

I was thinking about this issue so much, I actually had a dream last night that my brake overheated and failed to stop. :D

·
Registered
803 Posts
a vote against the AP brakes

I have used both the stock brakes and the AP brakes. My current car, Exige S 240 came with the AP as standard. I tracked my Elise and the Exige so I have experience with both.

The standard brakes were great. I maintained them carefully and changed the fluid once a year. I preferred the Ferodo 2500 pads. I was medium quick but never competed. I liked the 15/16 inch rim combination. While I occasionally got into the ABS, I was usually able to avoid it (shorter stopping distances) and once entered was able to back off and trail brake.

The AP brakes are larger and have a more immediate bite. They also do not fade. I have not changed the pads yet. I am unable to go minus one on the wheels and am stuck having to buy expensive wheels. It is easy to enter ABS, however the ABS is not able to cycle as carefully as it was when tuned for the original brakes. It is possible to lock the wheels and motor off course on slow speed turns, ask me how I know.... Most important is the modulation of the AP brakes is more difficult to accomplish. Once you have entered ABS it is difficult to back off the tiny bit to optimize braking. It is more difficult to trail brake into a corner, although I do not recommend that as normal practice. The pressure between slight braking and full braking just short of lockup (ABS) is small and more difficult to maintain.

Now some of you will want the badge of coolness associated with aftermarket brakes. Not me, I painted over the yellow "AP Brakes" on my calipers! No free advertising here...

Michael

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Michael -

Good info and advice.

I agree about "free adv".

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I agree with others on the braking. Bigger brakes isn't going to produce shorter stopping distances unless the stock brakes are hopelessly inadequate -- and they just aren't.

Not sure what the issue is with your brakes, but how many miles do you have on them? It took a good 2000 miles before my brakes were seated and now they feel VERY good for stock pads.

As far as brake pads, I'm looking for opinions on what to replace on my 07 Exige S stock brake system. I'm a fan of Hawks HT10 (work extremely well once warmed up), but I can't find any for the Lotus, the only Hawks I've found are HPS and those don't hack it for track duty IMHO. Hawk Blue is Ok, but I still prefer HT10.

I tend to late brake with fast & hard initial pressure and then ease off the pressure as needed. Haven't tried Pagid yet, but have tried Performance Friction (they were OK, not great) and Ferodo (really don't like these).

Would love to get more opinions on brake pads for track ONLY use (I always swap out pads so street is not a concern).

Thanks, Rob.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts