The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brake warning light on my Exige flickers on when I take a sweeping right turn. I have checked the fluid and it is 1 cm above the line on the reservoir and, yes, the emergency brake is all the way off. Any ideas?

Thanx

Jerry

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
The brake warning light on my Exige flickers on when I take a sweeping right turn. I have checked the fluid and it is 1 cm above the line on the reservoir and, yes, the emergency brake is all the way off. Any ideas?

Thanx

Jerry
Same thing happens to me on left turns. I keep meaning to check the fluid level. Will do it tomorrow before work and report back.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I wonder it this is catching :shrug:

My light comes on when I turn hard or sweeping left.

How full is the reservoir to be?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have never had it happen, but my reservoir is full to nearly the top, or the max line, if there is one. I was doing an inspection the other day and everything looked good. I just remember it looking pretty full when I inspected.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
the fluid sensor is at the top and it goes off on turns even when its near full . top off the fluid i'll bet your pads are getting worn when that happens the fluid leval drops. remember to take some out when you replace the pads so it doesnt come out the top. carl

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
This happened on my 94 Plymouth Villager (minivan) while cornering. The fluid was slightly low, and after topping it off, it went away.

·
Registered
606 Posts
It's definitely the fluid, top it off and like carl said, don't forget to watch it closely when you push the slave cylinders back in.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I took off the access panel again today and found that m fluid level was about 4 mm below the MAX line, but well above the molded in line. Filled it up to the MAX line and that cured the problem. It appears that the sensor is very sensitive to the fluid height and will give you a lot of warning about low fluid levels.

Jerry

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
How does everyones brake fluid reservoir sit?

Mine doesn't sit flat so filling to the max line on the front doesn't get to the same spot in the back. So I overfilled it slightly.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
How does everyones brake fluid reservoir sit?

Mine doesn't sit flat so filling to the max line on the front doesn't get to the same spot in the back. So I overfilled it slightly.
Same here.
I had the last brake fluid change done at the dealer during the 7500 mile service, and they also filled the reservoir all the way to the top past the max line.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's definitely the fluid, top it off and like carl said, don't forget to watch it closely when you push the slave cylinders back in.
I just had this happened after a brake/clutch bleed... more fluid problem solved! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts