The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After washing or rain I find the next day my brakes are really rusted/locked on.
I dont know if it all 4 or just the rear. I use the handbrake.

I find I really have to drop the clutch out to break it free.

Are there particular pads that dont do this (I need pads soon anyway)? Is this a common thing? Ive had it on other cars but not to the same extent, thinking its the bigger brake surface.

This is not a big deal because it doesnt often rain here and I only wash once a month.

·
Less is Better
2,480 Posts
All brakes rust if they are left wet and cold. Don't put on the e-brake when the brakes are wet. If they are on and the car gets wet, they won't stick. Short of carbon brakes, there's nothing to do.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So its probably the hand brake that locks it on the hardest. Dont use hand brake in the rain? (except for skids)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I drive mine around the block after washing to dry the brakes. I've also got a set of RV wheel covers I sometimes put on the wheels so the brakes don't get wet. Then I use detail spray on the wheels to remove the brake dust.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Do you know what your current brake pads are? They likely have a high iron content that is allowing flash rust to develop between the pads and rotors making them stick. Moving to a ceramic pad may help.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Careful with this. I put car up wet after washing and it actually popped the pad off the backer, had to have a very expensive rotor resurfaced and I caught it after one trip. I knew that it would pop, but never knew it would pull a pad off. The pad wasn't all that cheap either, newish Pagid. Have always driven car a little after wash since.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Very common , happens on my Elise as well. My guess would be semi metallic pad compounds would do this and ceramic pads likely wouldn't. Just depends on the pad compound. Best to work around it like others said, either take a trip around the block to dry them off after washing the car, or don't use the E-brake when you know they're wet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Glad to hear Im not the only one getting this issue. After I wash the car I nearly have to dump the clutch to break the rust so that the car can actually move lol

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you know what your current brake pads are? They likely have a high iron content that is allowing flash rust to develop between the pads and rotors making them stick. Moving to a ceramic pad may help.
No not sure of the pads. The fronts need changing soon so will probably do the lot. Be interesting to know if changing to ceramic helps (if they are not already.)

Careful with this. I put car up wet after washing and it actually popped the pad off the backer, had to have a very expensive rotor resurfaced and I caught it after one trip. I knew that it would pop, but never knew it would pull a pad off. The pad wasn't all that cheap either, newish Pagid. Have always driven car a little after wash since.
Thats good to know. I realise its only really bad after washing. Not so much after rain. I guess ive been driving and everything is warm.

I have had it on other cars its just crazy how fast they lock on. Like after 20mins of washing its a little bit stuck already.

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Blow dry them with a leaf blower when they're dripping wet. And don't waste your money on those rotor rust preventer sprays. They don't prevent rust and leave an unsightly mess on your rotors.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,090 Posts
I didn't even read this thread when it was originally posted, as I thought it was going to be a very basic discussion. I'm actually pleasantly surprised and should have known better, as not-a-number has posted some very technical stuff in the past. Great discussion, and Motard's bad luck is great information as well.

San

·
Less is Better
2,480 Posts
Blow dry them with a leaf blower when they're dripping wet. And don't waste your money on those rotor rust preventer sprays. They don't prevent rust and leave an unsightly mess on your rotors.
I don't know that that gets the back side of the rotor dry let alone the moisture from between the pad and the rotor. The pad sits on the rotor so there's really no space for air to travel.

·
Premium Member
11,583 Posts
I just drive around 1/2 block first, riding the brakes a tiny bit.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Motards experience is great information. I would have just kept doing it and not been too worried. But it does make sense that if the pads have no compression force on them but are stuck to the discs and you slam them back/forward the backing could get moved differently and come away.

Ill be doing a small drive from now on

1 - 17 of 17 Posts