The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching and scanning but I failed miserably.

I have gone from an E30 M3 to a 2006 350Z Track and am now looking to pick up an Elise or Exige.

My 350Z Track package has been sensational but I am looking for something more focused to track time with less concessions made for street driving.

I am trying to understand what all of the packages entail as I move forward in my quest. I am still not sure whether Exige or Elise makes the most sense, and if FI for the track is worth the potential headache.

I am putting the Z up for sale this week and looking to make a move this fall on the Lotus.

I imagine there is a list somewhere, but I have yet to find it. Help is appreciated.

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
I tried searching and scanning but I failed miserably.

I have gone from an E30 M3 to a 2006 350Z Track and am now looking to pick up an Elise or Exige.

My 350Z Track package has been sensational but I am looking for something more focused to track time with less concessions made for street driving.

I am trying to understand what all of the packages entail as I move forward in my quest. I am still not sure whether Exige or Elise makes the most sense, and if FI for the track is worth the potential headache.

I am putting the Z up for sale this week and looking to make a move this fall on the Lotus.

I imagine there is a list somewhere, but I have yet to find it. Help is appreciated.
By your comments, I say it looks like you're better off sticking with either a 2007 Exige S220 or a 2008 Exige S240 with track pack and touring pack (leather interior) since there's hardly any available without it.

Yes, you can buy an Elise or N/A Exige (2006) and put in an SC kit but as you stated, you don't want to deal with the potential headache.

Here's a link Build Your Exige S

the (very) short list you find here (exige):

» Showroom

and here (elise):

» Showroom
That's for the UK.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
from lotuscars.com the us site
· Touring Pack - $1,600 USD | $2,000 CDN

Thermal and Sound Insulated Soft Top, Full Leather Seat and Door Trim, Upgraded Stereo System with iPod® Connector, Stowage Net, additional Sound Insulation and Full Carpet Set. Leather colors include Black*, Red, Biscuit and Magnolia.

*Only in Black if Sport Pack is also selected.

· Sport Pack - $2,600 USD | $3,250 CDN

Lightweight Forged Silver Alloy Wheels (6J x 16 front 195/50 R16, 7.5J x 17 rear 225/45 R17) with Yokohama AD07 Advan LTS Tires and Lotus Sport Tuned Suspension. Twin Oil Coolers. Traction Control. ProBax™ Sport seats in cloth (unless combined with Touring Pack). Removes approximately 20 lbs. from curb weight.

· Hardtop - $1,475 USD | $1,184 CDN

Insulated, Removable Hardtop in body color (in addition to Soft Top).

· Limited Slip Differential - $1,790 USD | $2,240 CDN

Torque-Sensing Limited Slip Differential designed to distribute power more evenly between the rear tires to allow more aggressive acceleration out of low speed corners. Requires Lotus Traction Control.

· Lotus Traction Control - $495 USD | $620 CDN

Modulates power through Engine Control Unit to reduce rear wheel spin. Includes a Console-Mounted Switch to disable system. Cuts fuel delivery to individual cylinders when spin is detected.

· Starshield - $995 USD | Not Available in CDN

Clear Protection Film applied to nose of car, rocker panels, exterior mirrors and lower rear panels. Port installed.

· Metallic Paint - $590 USD | $740 CDN

Arctic Silver, Canyon Red, Persian Blue, Liquid Blue, Starlight Black, Solar Yellow and Storm Titanium.

· Lifestyle Paint - $1,200 USD | $1,500 CDN

Aspen White, Chrome Orange, Graphite Gray, Isotope Green, Laser Blue and Phantom Black.

· Limited Paint - $3,300 USD | $4,125 CDN

Candy Red, Ice White and Burnt Orange.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
from lotuscars.com the us site
· Touring Pack - $1,600 USD | $2,000 CDN

Thermal and Sound Insulated Soft Top, Full Leather Seat and Door Trim, Upgraded Stereo System with iPod® Connector, Stowage Net, additional Sound Insulation and Full Carpet Set. Leather colors include Black*, Red, Biscuit and Magnolia.

*Only in Black if Sport Pack is also selected.

· Sport Pack - $2,600 USD | $3,250 CDN

Lightweight Forged Silver Alloy Wheels (6J x 16 front 195/50 R16, 7.5J x 17 rear 225/45 R17) with Yokohama AD07 Advan LTS Tires and Lotus Sport Tuned Suspension. Twin Oil Coolers. Traction Control. ProBax™ Sport seats in cloth (unless combined with Touring Pack). Removes approximately 20 lbs. from curb weight.

· Hardtop - $1,475 USD | $1,184 CDN

Insulated, Removable Hardtop in body color (in addition to Soft Top).

· Limited Slip Differential - $1,790 USD | $2,240 CDN

Torque-Sensing Limited Slip Differential designed to distribute power more evenly between the rear tires to allow more aggressive acceleration out of low speed corners. Requires Lotus Traction Control.

· Lotus Traction Control - $495 USD | $620 CDN

Modulates power through Engine Control Unit to reduce rear wheel spin. Includes a Console-Mounted Switch to disable system. Cuts fuel delivery to individual cylinders when spin is detected.

· Starshield - $995 USD | Not Available in CDN

Clear Protection Film applied to nose of car, rocker panels, exterior mirrors and lower rear panels. Port installed.

· Metallic Paint - $590 USD | $740 CDN

Arctic Silver, Canyon Red, Persian Blue, Liquid Blue, Starlight Black, Solar Yellow and Storm Titanium.

· Lifestyle Paint - $1,200 USD | $1,500 CDN

Aspen White, Chrome Orange, Graphite Gray, Isotope Green, Laser Blue and Phantom Black.

· Limited Paint - $3,300 USD | $4,125 CDN

Candy Red, Ice White and Burnt Orange.
The above are the Elise options.

Exige is slightly different, since you automatically get the Sport Pack (making the Touring Pack interior leather choice Black only). No Soft top, but Hard Top is included instead. Also the wheels included are the Sport Pack wheels in black instead of silver.

There is also a Track Pack which is:
Track Pack - $1,650 | $2,065 CDN

Adjustable Bilstein Dampers with Remote Front Reservoirs and Threaded Spring Perches.

Although not listed, I believe the Track Pack also includes a different front sway bar and a harness bar.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.

As far as the 211 goes, outside the budget.

I need to get some seat time in both the Elise and Exige as I am too uneducated at this point to make that decision.

Ultimately, I am looking for another affordable track car. My Z is now for sale. It was my weekend/track car but I have decided to move towards a more dedicated track car (that doesn't require a tow vehicle).

MY350Z.COM Forums

I will say, my Z did pass a few Elises on track, but I am guessing it was due to one bad driver (me) being slightly better than another bad driver. Elise will get me back into an E30 M3-like car, without all the bull**** of owning a car made in the 80s.

Thanks for the help. For me it sounds like a Sport pack Elise or Exige is the right mix. I am a big fan of learning a car with it's stock suspension (normal or sport) before moving to an adjustable suspension. Important to know how the car handles naturally before adjustments are made.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to test drive a couple 2008s as it is the only thing I can find local. Maybe a good deal would get me into a newer car; we'll see what the dealer has to say.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Good luck with that. VERY few cars are ordered that way and for good reason. For track use purposes, Lotus deems the LSD useless on Elise and Exige models as they believe it you'll turn slower lap times. The reason they added LSD as an option for 2006 were for folks who autocross as it is beneficial for them. Lots of debate on the importance of LSD for the track but I honestly believe you do not need it. Traction control is good and you can get it without the LSD.

Just in case someone brings it up, at the end of production run for MY05, Lotus built less than a handful of cars with LSD. Also, LSD come automatically with TC but you can get TC without LSD.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Must have LSD. :) TCS would be nice as well.
For track use purposes, Lotus deems the LSD useless on Elise and Exige models as they believe it you'll turn slower lap times. The reason they added LSD as an option for 2006 were for folks who autocross as it is beneficial for them. Lots of debate on the importance of LSD for the track but I honestly believe you do not need it. Traction control is good and you can get it without the LSD.

Just in case someone brings it up, at the end of production run for MY05, Lotus built less than a handful of cars with LSD. Also, LSD come automatically with TC but you can get TC without LSD.
What he said. I believe it was about the last 50 of the '05 cars were made with the LSD

Oh wow, that's good to know. I know with my Z the LSD makes a big difference (in my opinion).
The Lotus is a totally different animal than the Z. What necessary on a mid-engine car and a front engine/rear drive car can be very different. I usually always have the LSD (even on my Miata) as they really help, but for the Elsie, it's not necessary (except for autocross and you have to be really good at it for it to make enough of a difference). I don't miss it on my Elise at all...

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I don't know guys I would love to have an LSD. I spin the inside rear out of corners very often at autocross. The big front bar helps a lot here. I have only been to 1 trackday but I had issues with inside rear traction. My opinion is lotus position on LSD is BS......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts