The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was not my day:facepalm
The Evora suddenly showed white smoke. After halting I saw a puddle of oil building below the engine, the car lost 2-3 liters of oil. :eek:
I had the car transported to the dealer (In Germany cars are actually no longer towed), where we hope to find the answer on Monday.
My expectation is that an oil line blew, probably the one connecting to the oil cooler that has also been mentioned here in relation to a SB.

That's an oil puddle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
TBD, are you sure it was oil? I've heard of a couple of different power steering hose failures (which I thought was odd of all things).

Worst case, if it was oil, sounds like you shut it down fairly quickly. Hopefully it's just a hose replacement and all will be good after a fresh oil service.

·
Premium Member
2,481 Posts
There are two oil line recalls for the Evora S in the US. The one just came out and they do not have a remedy in place yet....

1. Possible Oil Hose Rupture
Report Receipt Date: JUL 16, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V314000
Component(s): ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
(The remedy for this recall campaign is still under development. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Lotus at 1-770-476-6564. Lotus' campaign number is 2013/03R.)

2. Engine Oil Feed Pipe May Rupture
Report Receipt Date: OCT 01, 2012
NHTSA Campaign Number: 12V477000

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults.action

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first issue was taken care of about a year ago, so if it's recall related it would be the second. We should know on Monday.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
i had that with my 2004 911 4S - called intermediate shaft failure - engine self distructs and leaves a large oil spill.

all of the engines from 1999 to 2009 had to potential but no recall - they just replaced it if under warranty

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i had that with my 2004 911 4S - called intermediate shaft failure - engine self distructs and leaves a large oil spill.

all of the engines from 1999 to 2009 had to potential but no recall - they just replaced it if under warranty
Jesus! I read an article about this recently (Autoweek, a few weeks ago), class action lawsuit and so on. Anyways, what are you going to do. That's the cost of entry to play with high performance cars.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The good news, it is the oil cooler line connection near the oil filter that ruptured, so no serious harm done :). Unfortunately Lotus now wants to replace all the oil lines, so it will take a few days :(.

Fortunately the car was still cool, otherwise that oil would likely have caught fire on the hot exhaust.:facepalm

·
Registered
145 Posts
^^Are you giving any thought to replacing the OEM with upgraded lines? Maybe steel braided oil hoses (if they make a kit for the Evora yet)?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
The good news, it is the oil cooler line connection near the oil filter that ruptured, so no serious harm done :). Unfortunately Lotus now wants to replace all the oil lines, so it will take a few days :(.

Fortunately the car was still cool, otherwise that oil would likely have caught fire on the hot exhaust.:facepalm
Aren't some of the oil cooler liners within the frame of the car itself?

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts

That would be recall 1 as mentioned above (2nd chronologically).

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
^^Are you giving any thought to replacing the OEM with upgraded lines? Maybe steel braided oil hoses (if they make a kit for the Evora yet)?
Good to hear it will be a straight forward fix.
As for steel braided hoses--that may not be a good option if they run "thru" the chassis. The braiding is stainless steel that will cut through any aluminum it comes in contact will if there is relative motion between the two. Also, in most cases, it is not the hose itself that is the problem when you have a leak but rather the quality of the fittings at the ends of the hose.

·
Illegal Alien
5,261 Posts
Lines through car body are solid, flex lines from engine mounted oil thermostat to body are what are in recall. By coincidence we changed this routing on my car to move them away from the header and installed more directly routed braided lines from block to body. By the way SS braid is old style unless you really need wear protection say exposed under a under car, there are now a number of Aramid fiber braided brands now which provide normal abrasion/cutting protection and better heat protection all at significantly lighter weight.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That would be recall 1 as mentioned above (2nd chronologically).
It is near that line, but at the engine side, so not related.

The hose crimp failed, which may be related to a third issue that affected very early S models (I believe before they hit the US). There must have been a batch of hoses that had manufacturing defects of this kind. In fact, I had an A/C-hose fail for the same reason about 2 years ago.TADTS

·
Registered
268 Posts
Glad to hear that it's not a catastrophic failure.

·
Illegal Alien
5,261 Posts
Just to clarify the distinction between the two recalls on 2011 S cars:

1. Possible Oil Hose Rupture
Report Receipt Date: JUL 16, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V314000
Potential Number of Units Affected: 80

SUMMARY:
Lotus Cars USA, Inc. is recalling certain model year 2011 Evora supercharged vehicles equipped with a manual transmission and manufactured September 2010 through September 2011. The engine oil cooler hose may chafe and rupture resulting in oil loss.

CONSEQUENCE:
Engine oil may be ejected onto the road or rear wheels which could cause a reduction in vehicle control and potential engine failure, increasing the risk of a crash. Engine oil sprayed onto a heat source may also lead to a vehicle fire.

REMEDY:
The remedy for this recall campaign is still under development. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Lotus at 1-770-476-6564. Lotus' campaign number is 2013/03R.

2. Engine Oil Feed Pipe May Rupture
Report Receipt Date: OCT 01, 2012
NHTSA Campaign Number: 12V477000
Potential Number of Units Affected: 80

SUMMARY:
Lotus is recalling certain model year 2011 Evora supercharged vehicles manufactured from February 2011 through September 2011, equipped with a three-piece oil feed pipe with a flexible hose section. This engine mounted oil feed pipe, used to supply oil to the engine cylinder head, can rupture.

CONSEQUENCE:
The ruptured pipe can result in oil loss and engine damage, and oil sprayed onto hot engine components may result in a fire.

REMEDY:
Lotus will notify owners, and dealers will replace the oil feed pipe free of charge. The safety recall began on December 10, 2012. Owners may contact Lotus at 1-800-245-6887.

·
Illegal Alien
5,261 Posts

The hose crimp failed, which may be related to a third issue that affected very early S models (I believe before they hit the US). There must have been a batch of hoses that had manufacturing defects of this kind. In fact, I had an A/C-hose fail for the same reason about 2 years ago.TADTS
That was an earlier Elise issue right! Poor crimping which was resolved on later cars so yes it may be only a pre US intro issue on teh evoras. Just for referance, I atttached is a photo of the Evora S hoses coming of the OEM Oil Thermostat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts

A third type of oil hose failure. Sheesh.:facepalm

·
Illegal Alien
5,261 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Good pictures. Very helpful.

@Julian73: The caption in the picture says, "This routing bypasses OEM thermostat that was hardlined onto using the N/A cars oilcooler pedestal, with hoses back to hardlines." Bypass OEM thermostat? Could you explain?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts