The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark said:
IIRC the Rover powered Elise is street legal in Oz

A friend of mine shipped his car over there.
Yes it is, and they sell them there also. Nonetheless they will get the Toyota powered car there first.

·
Registered
296 Posts
jm, Australia, jm
Local Oz dealer informed me yesterday
If we went by what some local dealers have told various people here we'd be getting all sorts of things. I doubt since the car was designed for our market and a lot of money was spent for this that Lotus will be sending cars to Australia before the official unveiling to the world is scheduled at one of the larger shows in the world here in LA.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It could make sense if you look at it this way.

New car
Opportunity to get feedback (test) from real customers in a country with weather that's closer that of California/Arizona/etc then the UK (especially in December)...

If they need to set up the thermostat differently (for example) they'd rather not have it spoil the launch in USA in 2004.
In Oz they can sell Toyota and Rover powered cars so if they notice anything that needs attention they have a fall back position.

But I completely agree with what you say on not believing what dealers say. Quite offen the punters (buyers) know more than the dealers. Try getting one of them to put something in writing with a clause that if it's not true they'll pay you $100

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mark, you might not have seen news and posts from over here but from what people have seen & heard is that they have been testing US spec drivetrains here for quite some time. I recall some people seeing a group of cars near Hoover Dam or something like that were probably doing hot weather testing. Hopefully they have got the bugs worked out by now. Don't get me wrong I would like to see anyone get the new cars asap but just think it's highly unlikely.

·
Vendor
3,095 Posts
My dealer here in Scottsdale AZ told me they had 3 cars from the factory doing hot weather and sun impact studies on materials back in August. This is where all the automakers come to do this stuff

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
fzust said:
My dealer here in Scottsdale AZ told me they had 3 cars from the factory doing hot weather and sun impact studies on materials back in August.
Clyde told me this is where they discovered that Alcantara just wouldn't make it in the US.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Re: Alcantera

fzust said:
What is Alcantera?
It is a suede like material. You can see pics of a dashboard on the Elise with it here

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1165&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

See the Italian website-
http://www.alcantara.it/english/index_f.htm

It is noted as being like leather and it's durable, but that it also afford grip compared to leather which makes it more suitable for motorsports applications. My racing kart's steering wheel is covered in Alcantara.

·
Registered
296 Posts
mopalak said:
Clyde told me this is where they discovered that Alcantara just wouldn't make it in the US.

Yeah, I think it was the General Manager that had all the fabric swatches sitting on her back porch testing sun exposure.

fzust, good to see another valley resident here there are a few but SD still has us beat. BTW what # are you?

·
Vendor
3,095 Posts
L8BRAKR said:
Yeah, I think it was the General Manager that had all the fabric swatches sitting on her back porch testing sun exposure.

That sucks. I think the Alcantera would be an excellent interior, but perhaps they have another synthetic Seude they can use.

fzust, good to see another valley resident here there are a few but SD still has us beat. BTW what # are you?
Yeah, Ditto. Hope you aren't going for yellow or there will be 2 of us for sure. ; ) I am #28 I think.

·
Registered
296 Posts
fzust said:
Yeah, Ditto. Hope you aren't going for yellow or there will be 2 of us for sure. ; ) I am #28 I think.
Nope, I'm either Ardent Red or Ti Storm but leaning toward Red. Scottsdale said they were just under 100 on deposits last week so they probability of having more than a few yellows is high. I'm #17 last I knew:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts