The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, we've seen photos of one aftermarket exhaust and others are popping up.

Anyone working on headers? High flow cat? Intake? Other normally aspirated mods? Anyone taken a head to a reputable engine builder for a NA build? Come on you guys. Someone has to take the first step. I would in a second, but I don't know if I will get my car before this time next year.

We just finished putting together a high-compression, big cam, port and polish, big piston, intake, headers, etc.. normally aspirated Miata in our shop and it RIPS. Darn thing runs harder through the rev band than most of the supercharged Miatas and we haven't even gone to the dyno to dial it in.

Hopefully, there are gains in the same vein in the Elise. I realize the higher staring compression and more efficient design probably don't have as much room for improvement, but there has to be some! Let's GO!

Ara

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Many of the Celica parts will drop right on...and you can adapt the tubular intakes to fit the Elise. You can adapt some of the engine mgt tweaks too such as the Apexi, but this will need some wiring changes. Apparently stock shorty style headers will go on the car - some claim 8-10 HP from them and they start at 260. Internal motor parts, clutches, flywheels, etc will work.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Which headers will fit this car?

·
Registered
323 Posts
The plenum has to be kept because of the underpressure is needed for braking ?

(I got Direct to Head Throttle Bodies and an airbox for my Rover engine )

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yup.. Or some sort of vacuum-takeoff and 'storage tank' setup when used with throttle bodies.

A bit more complicated..

Bye, Arno.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
Here's a quick peek at some rolling road dyno results from ITG's intake for the 111R/Fedcar. Nice hp/torque gains:

We expect to have them in stock in March. It will be worth the wait. BTW: ITG supply F1 race teams! :cool:

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Looks like some nice gains.. Make sure you ask for some wider range dynos...below 3500 and past 8000....some of the Celica intakes help upstairs while hurting the 2000-3000 area.

Attachments

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Shinoo...it looks like it may be possible to change the air filter from under the engine cover. The stock filter requires the driver's side rear tire and wheel well liner to be yanked out for each swap. Perhaps for the ITG this would be necessary only for the initial install. Looks like the thing attaches to the roll bar brace- nice.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
Stan, that should be the case. ITG claims you don't need to clean their gradient foam filters as often as gauze based (K&N, etc) filters. So maintenance should be a bit less. I'll know for sure in Feb when I get my first intake to test fit in my car.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
huggy bear said:

Ara,

Youn have anyone in mind in the Houston area to do some NA mods?
Are you baiting me???

:)

I'm dying to get my hands on my car so we can start to hot-rod it. Luckily, a friend of mine just took delivery of his Elise. We'll probably start tearing into it as soon as he finishes his break-in. Also, since he is a track hound, we'll finally be able to get some comparison lap times at TWS. Woo Hoo.

Ara

PS for those of you who can appreciate this: I turned a 2:00.4 in my SM last friday.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
shinoo said:
Here's another view:
Shouldn't the air intake have a 90degree bend so that it has direct access to clean air?

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
Shinoo
How does this system sound? This is a pretty cool product. Along with the KMS exhaust system which includes the Ti headers, I'm hoping a total of about 20 hp. Seems pretty reasonable to me to expect an Elise with 210 hp with both the ITG intake and KMS exhaust installed.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Stan said:
Looks like some nice gains.. Make sure you ask for some wider range dynos...below 3500 and past 8000....some of the Celica intakes help upstairs while hurting the 2000-3000 area.
Very true. There is almost always some sort of trade-off when switching to a different intake. I find it hard, but not impossible, to believe that the stock intake isn't about as good as it gets.

By the way, if that's the side vent right there, you might not want the air to go directly in, as that could cause enough turbulence to upset the airflow reading.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts