The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought these along time ago with the intention of designing the hats and brackets and parking brake myself and then probably having somebody else manufacture them for me.

Well I started the design and then didn't finish do to having too many hobbies and most of the racetracks in Colorado closed, and then I did an engine rebuild...

So now I'm back at it! :shift:

So I bought these on ebay (talked the seller down a bit too :nanner: )

While I was arraigning to buy the calipers only, I asked about pads, and then rotors, and then bolts for the hats to rotors.
Well, he threw in a full set of new pads, and 6 slightly used rotors (no cracks or really any wear), and all of the rotor fixing bolts that are required for a fully floating Brembo rotor (they charge $300 for the bolts alone!).... He threw all that in for the price of shipping!

These calipers normally go for ~$2900 each for the fronts and ~$2300 for each rear! The bolts, as I said $300. The rotors are approx $500 each, and the pads.... I'm not sure, but they are 1" thick!

Calipers

calipers and 2 sets of front rotors

Front caliper and pads

So I bought a Wilwood proportioning valve and a brake pressure gauge, some braided brake lines, and some Wilwood parking calipers.

You can see the size difference between the original Lotus rotor (top) and my new Brembo rotor 328mm x 35mm (bottom)

and the rear solid rotor (top) vs the 313mm x 25.4mm (bottom)

These brakes are designed to fit into a 15" forged wheel, and they fit fine in my 17" and 18" AWI's from the '97 Esprit V8.
But it's fairly close in the front

The calipers are aluminum (front is monoblock) with vented titanium pistons. They are very light.

So I measured everything on my car and made some 3D models that I could use to create the mounting hardware.

the orange bracket and blue rotor hat

Rear assembly with separate parking caliper

After designing everything in CAD, I wanted to make sure that my measurements and offsets were ok, so I prototyped everything in plastic
front rotor assembly with plastic hat (real hat will be aluminum)

my piece of plastic was too small, but it served it's purpose
Rear rotor prototype assembly (also an aluminum hat)

Plastic caliper mounting bracket prototypes

Bolting the rear caliper mounting bracket in place. This will move the rear caliper to a leading position (Esprit caliper is in a trailing position) but this design is based on the X180-R and Sport 300 (which have phenomenal braking performance)

from this

to this

Checking the wheel clearance (plenty with my 18"x10" AWI rear wheel.

Front bracket (maintain trailing position)

front rotor, mounted behind the hub as in all Esprits prior to the Brembo S4 and V8's

Caliper and rotor

with 1" pad

With wheel

So everything fit, and I am starting to make the metal parts as I type this.
Rear Chrome-moly bracket

·
Registered
530 Posts
How much weight are you adding to each corner with those big thick rotors or are the calipers light enough to make up for a lot of the added weight?

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jim.

I haven't weighed all the pieces yet, but the stock brakes are so under powered for track use that I really don't care about giving up some unsprung weight.

In fact the AWI wheels with tires are about 2x the weight of the original OZ Route wheels & tires, but the car feels so much more planted and has much more grip and the wheel rate actually feels like it matches the stiffer suspension that I like to run.

I can also go to a more reasonable 32mm thick front rotor in the future, for the cost of shipping...

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
That should make quite a difference... Looks great so far.

How were the plastic pieces made? 3D Printer?

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made them on a manual mill and band saw out of sheets and a block of HDPE (cheap plastic).

Didn't want to cut metal until I was sure.

The aluminum was $137 for all 4 hats and the parking caliper brackets.
The chrome-moly steel was $144 for the 4 caliper brackets.

the Plastic for the prototype parts was $32 for everything with a bunch left over

·
Registered
284 Posts
Nice work Travis!

I take it you worked out the hydraulic ratios before you went down this path?

Now you get to experiment with pad material!

Wayne

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Wayne,
Thanks.

I have not worried about it too much. I have closely studied the X180-R setup (upon which this is based) by taking my friend's X180-R apart for inspiration.

I also know of others who have upgraded their brakes on the Esprit without problem. I'm fully prepared to either change proportioning for the rear, or to move to a different master.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Travis:
What are the piston diameters on the front calipers?
--
Steve

·
Registered
85 Posts
BOYS GOT SOME SKILLS!!!!!

Nice job great lay out too.
It looks like you are well on your way to a nice set of stoppers!
For a heck of a lot less than a set of AP's!:clap::clap::bow::bow::D:D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Wow very impressive! Fascinating that you scored some actual Brembo race parts. They look great. I look forward to seeing the finished product. :)

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Made some more progress today.

I finished making the 4 metal final versions of the caliper mounting brackets. I machined them myself out of 4140 Chrome-moly steel at the machine shop at work (bandsaw and milling machine) I dodn't know how to use the CNC so I did everything on the manual mill. I'm not too worried about nice finish so I am roughing these out with a roughing mill. The chrome-moly doesn't like a normal end-mill, it tends to work harden very fast, especially when trying to plunge or do a conventional cut. SO I had to make my designs to match my capabilities, and with all climb milling in mind (one pass each time in one direction of feed only).

SO here are the completed caliper brackets. I added some lightness from the previous picture!

Test fit

Fits great!

All parts are symmetric, so I just have to make 2 copies of everything.

Here it is with the rotor (you can see my new JRZ Race double adjustable suspension that I am also installing at the same time)

See my other thread for the JRZ suspension install.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Wayne,

I am planning on it! It would be good to meet you too, I've seen your projects as well.

I'm also going to the UK to tour Lotus and Classic Team Lotus in 10 days!

This is going to be a Lotus-full year!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Great Work Travis!

Travis,

:clap:

Great work - I join in with all the others who envy your skill, imagination, and energy. Look forward to meeting you in person at the next LOG.

Tom Mieczkowski

1 - 20 of 55 Posts