The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have the sport pack wheels and have been running Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs with great success as daily driver tires. However, as you probably know, this model tire is discontinued. For the heck of it, I just called the Tire Rack and they are completely sold out of the rear size I've been running (I missed the final clearance). I've been running these in the forum recommended sizes of Front 205/45-16 and Rear 245/40-17.

So, now the question is, what next? The Potenza RE-11s are the replacement model which I'd love to try, but it looks like these tire sizes have changed a bit with regards to their tolerance for rim size? Here are the specs I found on the Bridgestone website:

Sizes and Specifications

You can see that for the Front 205/45-16 size, the Approved Rims spec is now 7.5-9.0 (The RE-01R spec was 6.5-7.5). I guess this is now out of the range for the LSS 6.5x16 rim, eh?

And as for the Rear 245/40-17 size, the Approved Rims spec is now 8.0-9.5, which I guess is also out of the range for the LSS 7.5x17 rim?

The other overall dimensions such as overall diameter and width seem to be in line with the previous RE-01Rs...but I guess these new rim specs rule out these sizes and possibly this entire tire model overall?

I'm certainly no tire/wheel fitment expert, so I thought I'd post this out here to see if anybody has any thoughts and can clarify my understanding that I might be out of luck in trying the RE-11s with my sport pack wheels...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just bought the RE01Rs from TR on closeout. I asked them about 245s and they told me that they were out of spec for the LSS wheels so I went with the 235s....they seem fine so far.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I'd guess the 205/245 should still work in the RE-11 check the section and tread width and compare it to the RE-01R.

Or just run the Star Specs, I really like them and they seem to be as fast or faster than the RE-01Rs in my experience.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've checked the section/width and that seems fine, but that's not the issue behind my original post. The issue as described in my original post is with Rim size specifications. Based on new rim specs of the RE-11s, it seems that the LSS rims won't work with this new line of tire.

Based on this, I've definitely started looking at the Star Specs!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I already bought a set of RE-11's and they will go on either this week or next. I am doing a full suspension setup at the same time. I bought the 205/45-16 and 235/40-17 and have the LSS wheels. I will take pictures and let you know how they work out.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Unfortunately they have yet to go on as I was waiting on my new suspension as well which seems to have taken forever. The install should finally happen this coming week though. I hope so as I hope to hit the track in early May.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Any update on using the RE11's in the size you are speaking about.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Short answer. Awesome. Grips well, little fade, sticky, minimal road noise, and good ride charecteristics. They are suited well to my new kw suspension (which did go on at the same time). I have three track days and a handful of canyon drives.

I will try to take some pictures. So far I have settled on 25/28 hot tire temps which seem to work well.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Short answer. Awesome. Grips well, little fade, sticky, minimal road noise, and good ride charecteristics. They are suited well to my new kw suspension (which did go on at the same time). I have three track days and a handful of canyon drives.

I will try to take some pictures. So far I have settled on 25/28 hot tire temps which seem to work well.

Did you get any pics yet? What are your cold tire pressures?

D

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Unfortunately they have yet to go on as I was waiting on my new suspension as well which seems to have taken forever. The install should finally happen this coming week though. I hope so as I hope to hit the track in early May.
Would be interesting to see if the RE-11s are better on track than the RE-01Rs were. All I can say is the RE-01Rs were absolutely horrible on track. Now for the street they are awesome, especially in the rain. They just got real greasy on me on the track in the summertime. I suspect I just got way out of their heat range.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I have this exact size on my rear lss wheels with no issues. My front reo1s looked brand new so I have different tires front to back and I figured the re11s should be close. My inititall impression was that I liked the reo1s a bit better because I think they felt a bit stiffer and more responsive. It may be just due to the fact that they had almost no tread left to squirm. Grip and wet weather performance is excellent of course.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Would be interesting to see if the RE-11s are better on track than the RE-01Rs were. All I can say is the RE-01Rs were absolutely horrible on track. Now for the street they are awesome, especially in the rain. They just got real greasy on me on the track in the summertime. I suspect I just got way out of their heat range.
I have run them hard on the track on cool days and /or rain in New England, and they are very good under those conditions. Lap times very close to 048s. But I haven't tried them in hot weather.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have this exact size on my rear lss wheels with no issues. My front reo1s looked brand new so I have different tires front to back and I figured the re11s should be close..
how matched do you feel the RE-01R are to the RE-11, I have the opposite scenario from you.
I have 2 brand new sets of RE-01R rears and need a front pair to match, so I was thinking of mating them with a front set of RE-11

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
how matched do you feel the RE-01R are to the RE-11, I have the opposite scenario from you.
I have 2 brand new sets of RE-01R rears and need a front pair to match, so I was thinking of mating them with a front set of RE-11
Its really hard to judge, as I haven had a chance to autocross on them. My initial impression is that the grip is similar between the two but the reo1s seem to have a little stiffer sidewall. The front end of the elise is so light that I dsont think it is an issue at all. There has been alot said about the ills of mismatching tires, and I think there is some truth in the conventional wisdom. However the front and back of an elise is so different in terms of loading that the tires may as well be on a different car. I dont think there is any issues with mixing them. The worst case scenario is they respond to heat a bit differently on a track, but I dont think this is a big deal....

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

What are your cold temps ??

Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
RE01R

I have 205/16's and 235/17's in the RE-01R with just short of 2,000 miles on them.

They have never been tracked or autocrossed. They look almost brand new. Thy are mounted on OEM black wheels from 2007 Exige S which are also for sale. I went to 17's all around. Let me know if you are interested.

Bryan

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 205/16's and 235/17's in the RE-01R with just short of 2,000 miles on them.

They have never been tracked or autocrossed. They look almost brand new. Thy are mounted on OEM black wheels from 2007 Exige S which are also for sale. I went to 17's all around. Let me know if you are interested.

Bryan
Would there be an issue in running the RE11 with 205/16 and 235/17 both in 45 profile?

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Would there be an issue in running the RE11 with 205/16 and 235/17 both in 45 profile?
I am running 245 40 17: BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE-01R on the rear of my car.
Cant remember the fronts without going and looking at the car which is in storage. If you need me to, let me know.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts