The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting ready to purchase new tires, and I've finally decided upon the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R tires, but as I was looking them up on Tire Rack, I noticed the much more reasonably priced Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport tires. I have an '05 Elise with the Sport Pack, so I need a tire that fits the LSS sized wheels and is used exclusively for street. I noticed they don't have the stock sizes of 195/50/16 and 225/45/17, so I'm opting for the sizes of 205/45/16 and 245/40/17. I was just looking for any input as to whether or not someone has had a chance to try out the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport tires and how they compare to the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R tires. Remember, I'm only looking for street use on LSS wheels. Thanks in advance for the help. Oh, and I get back from Afghanistan at the end of May/beginning of June, so when I come home to Atlanta for parts/repairs/servicing, maybe I can finally meet up with some other Lotus owners!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have run both RE730's and RE750's (predecessors to RE760) on my WRX and love them. Cheap, grippy, good life, low noise (at least on the 750's). That said, they are noticably less grippy than Potenza S03's which are less grippy than RE01R.

If all you do is drive on the street, you will probably like them fine. If you are looking for extremely responsive steering from ultra stiff sidewalls and for maximum grip, they will fall short.

I have a friend that has tracked his Corvette with RE750's and had no problem. In fact, I was extremely impressed. They really are a nice tire, just an inexpensive, nice tire.

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have run both RE730's and RE750's (predecessors to RE760) on my WRX and love them. Cheap, grippy, good life, low noise (at least on the 750's). That said, they are noticably less grippy than Potenza S03's which are less grippy than RE01R.

If all you do is drive on the street, you will probably like them fine. If you are looking for extremely responsive steering from ultra stiff sidewalls and for maximum grip, they will fall short.

I have a friend that has tracked his Corvette with RE750's and had no problem. In fact, I was extremely impressed. They really are a nice tire, just an inexpensive, nice tire.
Thanks for the insight. I'm leaning more towards the RE760's at this point in time, but now I'm having other concerns. Will a 205/45/16 and 245/40/17 setup work well with the LSS wheels? I really don't want to buy them and not be able to have them installed on the car, or, once installed, have some problems with them. Also, has anyone actually tried out the RE760's? Oh, and what would be a good cold air pressure for them?

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
There is another post about this and the guys have used these tires. They have had experience with 2 different sizes and I seem to recall they were getting "ice mode" with one size over the other.

I have subscribed to it...but I am on my PDa right now so I cant find it. Perhaps someone else could post a link.

I am going to go this route sometime this month.

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for those few replies. Looks like I'm gonna be one of the first few to try out these tires. I'll let yall know all about them as soon as I get back home.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am running a 205/245 combo on my track setup. They are 15/16 rotas with Toyo RA1's. Granted they are different tires and different wheels, buy I have no fitment issues.

Since the RE760's should have a softer carcass than the stock Lotus tires, they should require a bit more inflation pressure than the OE recommendation. I would say bump them up 2-3 psi.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts