The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys feel about this tire and tire size combination?

Front: 205/45ZR16

Rear: 235/40ZR17

They are a max performance summer tire offered by Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R)

Will this size combination produce similiar handling characteristics as the LLS sizes: 195/50zr16 and 225/45zr17 ?

I currently have LSS sized A048s and they are an exceptional tire for all out performance. I want something that arrives near its handling abilities, but doesn't have all the baggage. I think the RE-01 R's should fit the bill///????

·
Registered
381 Posts
With the size increase, the car will be slightly less nimble. Under/Over characteristics should be similar for most part since sizes go up in proportion. With a wider tire, end up using more of the inside edge, similar to using a harder compound. My guess is the grip will be less impressive (even with size up) than with 048 but that's the payoff.

I dont have experience with the RE in that size on my lotus so can't comment but used AD07, Ad048, and RE-01R on my s2000 so can offer you some info from that experience.

ad048 no doubt best grip but as you say not always suitable.

ad07 (neova) is good, but compared to the RE-01R has less bite. I think the latter's sidewall is stiffer. On the same note, the former gives more warning before giving, and in a slide situation, everything is more gradual.

RE costs a lot more than the 07, when the REs are toast, I think will go back to advan.

Note a new ad07 version should be out. Soon a new ad050 will be available in lotus 16/17 sizes.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
The softer sidewall will certainly make it feel less nimble.

I highly doubt a small increase in tire size alone will affect how nimble the car is...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Those are the ones I put on my Elise. My objective was to have a more comfortable street ride with the sport pack suspension, while preserving the AO48's for hpde. Because of the softer sidewall that is what I got. These tires handle very adequately, but are also much heavier than A048's.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The softer sidewall will certainly make it feel less nimble.

I highly doubt a small increase in tire size alone will affect how nimble the car is...
just my impression but anytime i've widened my track, ie went with wider rim/ lower flush offset but same standard tires on the lotus, felt noticeably sturdier at high speeds but less responsive, just a little bit.

if the car is driven hard, worth while looking into over all balance. usually best to go with softer spring/susp set up when using street tire and harder spring/susp set up for balance (assuming the set up currently running is balanced). Imagine the extra load/damper compression on damper R tire verus street tire and on flip side not enough compression on street tire verus R tire.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tire weights

Why would the a048s weight less than the RE-01 R, yet be more stiff in the sidewall? I assumed R-compound tires would weigh more due to their increased use of sidewall stiffening materials.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I use RAC Monolites, not lss wheels.

front 7"
rear 8"

I've never heard of ad050.
replacement for ad048. as of now still no lotus 16/17 sizes

Some owners opt to go 15/16 for more tire options. Have heard reports S compound is better than the LT. Hope advan offers S in 16/17 sizes going forward.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ran Hoosiers in this front size without any problems 205/45/16 (23.3" vs. 23.7" stock)
but my rears were 245/40/17 (24.7" vs. 25" stock) also without problem.
Your suggested rear size rear: 235/40ZR17 is going to be smaller. (24.4"), is that a concern?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not sure about the sizes, but re the tires they will be great street tire but not the fast track set up. For that you need yoko A048's or (the tire I'm using) Toyo R888's. The Toyo's are just as fast and seem to last longer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts