The Lotus Cars Community banner
221 - 240 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
OK, so here are my impressions as a novice autocrosser... I have the 245s in the rear, btw.

The RE-01Rs felt a little MORE sticky to me than the worn and two-year-old A048s, and felt like they break loose just a little less linearly, for what that's worth. I could really get the A048s to slide nicely, but the RE-01Rs were a little less linear at the limit, but still predictable. Maybe since the RE-01Rs were stickier? Again, keep in mind this is all relative to worn A048s with 6k miles on them.

So for a novice autocrosser, I'd say you do not give up anything with the RE-01Rs, as compared to worn A048s. I really did not notice any lack of turn in sharpness out on the course, either, despite noticing it around town when I look for it.

In summary, if you're looking for a much more quiet ride, a little more comfortable ride, wouldn't mind longer tire life (from what I hear), and you can get over the psychological difference of less crisp turn-in, these tires are a strong choice for you. That is, the turn-in out on the open road is really the only negative part of the RE-01Rs I have noticed, and even then, I didn't notice it one bit while autocrossing. I notice it mainly when I oscillate the wheel back and forth quickly, which I just don't think happens all that often while actually autocrossing.
That's like comparing Christy Brinkley to my grandmother (she was hot in her day) :D.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Can someone comment on how the rears release when at the limit?
For the most part the break away point on most street tires are very sudden. I have found that the break away point on these tires is more predicable then other tires I have autox'd on. It really depends on the slip angle your at as well as over all speed.

I know for a fact I could hold a slide with these tires and a 25 degree angle at a rate of 60 or so miles an hour. At speeds any faster I noticed that the fronts start to plow too much to make me want to carry any more speed. I would however, only use these as a daily tire not for track duty. For track duty I would go with a full on slick like a Hoosier A6 or a KUMO 710. Your playing so go all out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Everyone thanks for the feedback. Mike the center caps look awesome. I may try to duplicate your efforts on my TDs. My quick impressions after 1000mi is they are great street tires in that they ride well but have a lot of grip and seem to release progressively. That's the good news. I won't say bad because its probably just me but I don't feel the same trust in them I felt in the D07s. Its hard to tell because I don't have them side by side. I still like them and may have to change my driving style to get the most out of them. It also may have something to do with they don't give the same steering or butt in seat feedback that I thnik I had with the D07s. I'll update again when I have more info.

·
Registered
99 Posts
MikeRoberts44 - how do you like the Orange TPMS?

Finally, I received the new Lotus logos for the center caps so I can post some pictures.

My car is an '05 without the sport pack. I wanted black wheels and needed new tires, so I ordered a package from Tire Shoppe. The package included flat black Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 wheels, 16x7 front and 17x8 rear. The tires are Bridgestone RE01Rs, 205/45R16 front and 245/40R17 rear. I also had Tire Shope include an Orange Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Mounted and balanced and shipped to me along with a free T-shirt and pair of Ringers gloves, my cost was $1,763.

After they arrived, I realized I needed center caps and the stock Lotus ones did not fit. After some looking, I ordered Team Dynamics caps from Tire Shoppe, $38. I then found some two inch diameter acrylic Lotus logo badges from [email protected]. They are in Great Britain, so they wanted £20.99 to ship four to me.

When the logo badges arived, I used TurboPhil's suggestion of removing the Team Dynamics logo from their center caps, a belt sander to sand the lip off the center cap, and stick the Lotus logo badges on (they came with adhesive on the backs). I am now quite pleased with the asthetic results. I have not had them on the track yet, but, on the street, they seem every bit as nice as the AD07s.

·
Registered
727 Posts
MikeRoberts44 - how do you like the Orange TPMS?
I like it. It reports pressure or temperature or both at each wheel to the nearest PSI or degree. It is interesting to watch the tire pressure change depending on driving enthusiasm or even which tire is in the sun. It has already warned me about a tire losing air. The down side was it actually turned out to be the valve stem nut was not tight enough.

I originally set the readout unit under the headlight switches using the enclosed velcro with sticky tape. I did not like the location and the tape did not hold very well. TurboPhil built me an aluminum bracket for under the A/C controls. He used an industrial strength velcro that has held up very well. I also like the location much better.

I still look forward to seeing what it says on the track. I am also not convinced that it is real accurate. I think it is consistent, but possibly off by a couple or three PSI.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i have a 06 elise. I have read may things about the LSS rims???
I do not know if I have LSS rims?? What is LSS??

I do not have the track or tour pack. just shield guard thats all.

will the 245 fit on my rears and the 205 fit on my front?

·
Registered
7,240 Posts

If you have the LSS rims those size RE01r's will fit. I have them on my Euro Exige rims which are the same size as the LSS. I've had them mounted on 05 Elise, 06 Exige, and currently 07 Exige S with no rubbing and no spacers required.

You DON'T have the LSS if you have 8 spoke (base) rims.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts

LSS Rims are wider and did only came on the Sport Pak cars. They have split spokes....if you have the standard wheels...the spokes are solid.

If you look at this weeks LOONY photos...you will see my car. It has Sport Rims...
Our Last Scheduled Breakfast of 2008 / 081027 023.jpg

And here is a picture before I switched to LSS Rims

MG Car Show 2008 / 080603 103.jpg

I have heard of people putting the Bridgestones on standard rims...but I have never tried it. They are not a recommended size for this tire.

·
Registered
203 Posts
ok i do not have the LSS RIMS. I have the base rims.

If i can not put the bridgestone 245 REO1-R on. what are my options?

·
Registered
807 Posts
For those running the RE01, how long are they lasting?
i just put them on so i don't know how long they'll last just yet, but for normal or even enthusiastic street driving, i can't tell the difference between the A048's, as they both stick very well, except that the RE01's are much much quieter and i'm not always cringing every time i hit a patch of water. The noise was like night and day at freeway speeds. You can now hear your radio, assuming you have a stock exhaust ;)

As far as treadwear, i have to disqualify myself as i got an unheard of and unrealistic 18,000 miles out of my original A048's, in the back :eek: The fronts lasted 22,000!!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Don't worry the RE-11 is available soon and they have 205/45/16 and 245/40/17

·
Registered
609 Posts
You need to call them

Tried to buy some 245/40-17

NONE LEFT. :(
I just ordered two. They have some coming in March 6 to ship approx. March 9-12. I spoke with Gavin and he gave me permission to post his extension (888) 541-1777 x693.

I told him to grab a coffee now before he was deluged with calls from Elise owners...:)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Wow. You guys are fast. I was just going to post this deal. Good thing I checked first. Wouldn't want to be the repost guy :D

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
For people looking for wheel centers, I have plenty of 2" black and aluminum self adhesive urethane domed Lotus badges in stock.

I make custom colors to order as well (like the black and orange on my car) but they are tedious and usually a slow turn around time on them /fair warning.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
I just ordered 2...

221 - 240 of 241 Posts