The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is no outer or inner fiberglass damage. The louvers have a little paint bubbling. Simply sand and re-paint. Rest of the exterior is fine. No need to re-paint. The R/H rear tail light lens was burned a little. You'd want to replace it. The rear bumper will have to be replaced. Not burned up or melted in two, but definitely cannot be repaired. Lower valence (diffuser?) will need to be sanded and re-painted. Maybe epoxy and re-sand, but the glass fiber itself is not damaged. It's definitely use-able. Underside and wheel wells are OK. Miraculously, the wheel wells weren't damaged, nor was the underside burned up. (Ha Ha, I had removed the under cover a while back, it's still at home). All hoses and belts will need to be replaced (even though they didn't all get burned). You'd want to rebuild anything in the engine bay that may have plastic or rubber inside it (Carbs, Distributor, Alternator, Water Pump, AC Compressor, etc...). Finally, you'd need to re-wire it, at least from the firewall back. Me, I'd re-wire the whole car but you could get by just replacing the burned wires. To re-wire the whole car, you need to remove the dash and much of the interior. Motor mounts were melted to a degree. I don't know how it may've affected the shocks - they're SPAX - is there rubber or plastic on them? One small burn hole in the trunk carpet (but that's over the transmission fill plug hole and you could punch out a nice round hole and use one of those rubber plugs - like the one slightly above, which covers the air pump hole). Engine bay cover with fan was un-burned. Ha Ha, it wasn't on the car when burned, it's still at my house. Tanks are metal, so they're OK. That's really about it. It's not all THAT bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts