The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A long time ago kimgt (Kim) got this wacky idea to install some much needed light in his Exige. Following his lead, I decided to the do the same and copy off his homework.

Here's what I used:

Note that they come with a momentary switch that runs on 5 or 6 of those small watch sized batteries (not the quarter size ones, the smaller size).

They're also not blue like they appear in the pic, but white:

The end results:

Like some of you, I wanted more lighting inside. I bought (2) sets of the lights above and used 1 under the dash (left/right) and one set above the seats as seen in the pic. I wired them to the center dome light between the seats and ran the wiring to the switch in the last pic that I bought @ Radio Shack.

I'm not an electrician, but I know this kinda/sorta works for me. Regardless of where the dome light switch is positioned, when I open my doors, the lights come on. If I want to open the doors and turn the lights off, I just hit the red switch by the steering wheel.

It was a lot easier to do the work with both seats out. I did this many many many months ago but I remember that much :D.

I also remember the wiring for the center dome light having (3) leads. I had to try different combos to get things working. In the end though, they've worked fine ever since and I'm happy with the copious amounts of light I have. Also, the rear view pic you can still see the light but may not be able to tell that my window is tinted very dark.

Questions? Feel free to ask.

·
Registered
238 Posts
which wires did you tap into? i'm interested in doing the same

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you remove the dome light there's 3 wires going to it. I tapped into two of those. To figure out which ones I wanted I just stripped some of the wire and opened the door with my new lights loosely attached. Once I got the desired results I soldered and taped it all up, wired up the switch in the steering column and put everything back together.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
which store did you grab those from? Amazon has 12" white, but only 6 led's on a 12" strip - sell them individually for $20, and no red button..have a part # or vendor? thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts