The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this should be in trailers etc or here so here it goes.
I have only been running at my local track Portland International raceway, its flat, its not to difficult and I want to try more advanced tracks after years of driving here. This year I think I finally have the funds to have more fun :clap: but am trying to figure out logistics of far away tracks. I plan on trailering the car by a U-Haul flatbed and towing with my Porsche cayenne, but I was curious as to how you store gas. Do you bring it on the flatbed and tie it down? Is there a way to store it in the trunk of the SUV without making it smell like gas. Do I need certain approved containers? What else should I know/look out for.

I ask because I usually go through 1/4 of a tank each session and don't want to spend lunch running to the nearest gas station instead of relaxing. I plan on bringing 15 to 20 gallons and a full car. How do you do it?

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I decided to never haul gas, just too dangerous.

Once my truck was hit with a couple of 5 gallon containers in the bed. The photos showing them just next to the crumple zone convinced me.

Surely there is some way to get fuel near a track. Maybe take empty containers there and fill them to have some near the car but not on the entire trip.

Having it inside a big enclosed trailer might be a lot better, but I'm still wary of the stuff.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The few tracks I have been to, either have fuel within a few miles of the track, or on site. I just make a few trips to the pump between sessions. I also bring an extra 5gal can, in case of a long session. I keep the can on its side in the trunk (I drive to the track) and fill it as close to the track as possible, then place it upright on the passenger seat and roll the windows down for the rest of the trip.

Why would you tow with a Cayenne if you have a Tundra?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The few tracks I have been to, either have fuel within a few miles of the track, or on site. I just make a few trips to the pump between sessions. I also bring an extra 5gal can, in case of a long session. I keep the can on its side in the trunk (I drive to the track) and fill it as close to the track as possible, then place it upright on the passenger seat and roll the windows down for the rest of the trip.

Why would you tow with a Cayenne if you have a Tundra?
he wants to tow in style!!

·
Registered
663 Posts
safest would be to put fuel in/on trailer somehow..... the smell of a fuel tank inside a car totally suck when it's spilled. Like mentioned safety wise it's not the best idea to have in the car with you. Strapping it to the trailer somehow would be fine.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Couple jugs in the bed of the truck. I have prolly 10-12 of the 5 gal race jugs in the shed so I just grab a few.
I get my fuel at the airport which is about 25 miles from my house.

Never noticed them stinking up the truck of my Jetta when I put them in there, though my nose isn't all that sensitive to that stuff anyhow.

Accident, crumple zone, blah blah blah. I could get hit by a bus load of nuns while crossing the street tomorrow too. I haul a 275 gallon diesel tank in the back of my truck when I fill my bulk tank. If you count the fuel tanks on the truck too, that's almost 400 gals of fuel... with no Haz Mat stickers or anything :) 10 gals of gas I'm not too worried about.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Haul the jugs empty to the track and stop at the gas station to fill them up just before you get to the track. Place them on the trailer and secure them down. I have an enclosed trailer and use a Pit Pal 4 jug holder. They make 1, 2, 3, or 4 jug holders. If you go with the 2, 3, or 4 ask them to install dividers in them. The four jug holder I bought doesn't have them so I always have to put 4 jugs in or risk the other jugs falling over inside the holder. Plus filling them up just before you get to the track saves towing weight for 99% of the trip.

·
hate speed limits
714 Posts
Seal the tanks in hefty bags, place tanks in large Rubbermaid container so they don't slide around & throw the container in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Siphon off your competitor's gas when they aren't looking, win win.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I take a few of these in the truck empty, then fill them up once at the destination town, then on the trailer they go.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=2558

Since you're somewhere in the PCNW, guessing that you'll venture to ORP soon.
At that track you can purchase premimum at the track for well, a premimum, or you can take a few of these and fill up on the way in.

The nearest premimum gas station at that track is 30 miles away...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I take a few of these in the truck empty, then fill them up once at the destination town, then on the trailer they go.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=2558

Since you're somewhere in the PCNW, guessing that you'll venture to ORP soon.
At that track you can purchase premimum at the track for well, a premimum, or you can take a few of these and fill up on the way in.

The nearest premimum gas station at that track is 30 miles away...
Yes will be going to ORP June 23rd and July 14th this year(if all goes as planned) and this was actually the reason I was asking, I just didn't know they have gas one site lol. I don't mind paying a premium for premium I just want to not run out of gas cause that is a HUGE premium lol.

Seal the tanks in hefty bags, place tanks in large Rubbermaid container so they don't slide around & throw the container in the trunk.
Yes that is what i am looking for, why didn't i think of that.

Siphon off your competitor's gas when they aren't looking, win win.
I will use that if I forget gas :) however its a track day, not a race so no competitors

1 - 12 of 12 Posts