The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the flyer for Brit Car day at Lewes Del next month. It's a nice little show, they've a very nice spot in town among historic buildings. Lots of nice local shops and eateries in walking distance.

Good location for guys coming from Philly or NJ over the ferry.

If you go from the Western Shore of MD, there are some really great back roads to explore on the way to the show. About an hour or so east of the Bay Bridge.

2 years ago I won the 81 to present class with what is now fishtaco's elise, beat out a guy with a Bentley Continental GT. He was none to pleased. Ran into him last fall, he now has an AM Vanquish that he's planning on bringing to the show.

Oh, and they don't allow current MINI's in the show...not British in their eyes. Hmmm, mother company is in another country, heavily uses parts from other countries, only assembled in England.

What other car does that sound like?

http://www.leweschamber.com/documents/2008CarRegistration.pdf

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just booked my Hotel Room in Bethany Beach. I'll be there with the former winning car.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just booked my Hotel Room in Bethany Beach. I'll be there with the former winning car.
Oh No!

I'm driving over and back that day. I'm preregistered.

If anyone is planning on going, once you're on the field, they will not let you off until 3 pm, so if you planning on heading over, staying only to 1 or 2 pm, well, you'll be stuck once there.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
looks like i will be there! still debating on entering the Lotus or not. doesn't sound like i have a chance at winning anything! :) oh well. i'll just be there to drool over everyone else's car(s) anyways.

see you guys there.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
looks like i will be there! still debating on entering the Lotus or not. doesn't sound like i have a chance at winning anything! :) oh well. i'll just be there to drool over everyone else's car(s) anyways.

see you guys there.
Rich,

Enter the Exige!!! Are you kidding? Two years ago my yellow Elise (fishtaco's) dominated the 81-present division. It included Jags, some TVR's, the Lotus, a Bentley Continental GT and a stunning Esprit V8 that had won the year before. The Bentley owner has since sold his car, and will likely be there with his Aston Martin Vanquish.

People couldn't get enough of the Lotus. The Exige will be that much more extreme, but...John apparently will be there with the yellow car, I will be there with my red Elise.

But it's not about winning the show. It's about the location, the drive, and the cars. This show is a really nice one. GREAT setting, all the cars are scattered among actual colonial era buildings. The buildings are either shops or mini-museums. Some were built on that spot 200 plus years ago, others are equally old but were moved there. At the end of the show there is a parade of all cars through town, with the Mayor awarding the winners at a revue stand.

The show I attended had some outstanding cars, my favorite was a beautiful Lotus Cortina finished in a livery driven by Jim Clark. The car was spotless. It got my vote for best in show.

Downtown Lewes is a block away, great little shops and restaurants. You can easily kill a few hours just doing the shops and downtown.

And from where you live, there are some OUTSTANDING Delmarva backroads to play on to and from the show. Bring the car!!!!

If I can just get Andy (Irishfan04) to drive out from Chicago...all 4 of my current/former Eliges/Exises would be there!

Go to the website and check it out. The show site is a small one, and Lewes is a small town. Because of traffic, they are requiring that you be on the field by 10:30 am. After that you're turned away. And once on the field, they will not let you leave between 11 am and the show's end at 3 o'clock.

The space is limited, they may have room at most for 125 cars. Preregister early next week if you can.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm a long shot for me for the Lewes show now, another priority has come up.

If the planets line up I might be able to make the trip. But it's not likely, so I'm sure either Pugg or Fishtaco will take home the gold...

And Rich, it wasn't me that left that wax residue on the screen mesh on your car...I don't think I ever even waxed the car when I owned it!! Well, I guess I DID leave it there, I just didn't PUT it there!

Good luck with the show. The car that would beat the Exige, other than another Lotus 'Elige', in that division is if somebody shows up in a Morgan. There are 'modern' Morgans that fit into the 81 to Present class, but because they have the classic styling the participants in the other classes with older/restored cars usually vote for the more classic car.

Either way, good luck, if the weather cooperates, it's a great show. Great location, lots to do in the small town other than sitting in a chair watching people watching you watching people watch your car.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great fun, great drive!

Today's show was great! Great drive over, lots of VERY nice cars.

An immaculately restored Type 14 Elite was there, stunning! I know it won best in its class.

In the 1981 to present class, a Graphite Gray 06 Exige took second, a white 06 Exige took third...both finishing behind a Mini Cooper (not the current BMW mini, they are not allowed in this show).

Both Exige owners frequent this board.

Fishtaco was there with his BWR SC 05 Elise, what a beautiful installation!

My 05 AR Elise rounded out the Lotus field. Several other Lotus folks there, but for vintage Lotus owners the not uncommon situation of their cars not being ready for the road kept the cars home. One fellow was the original publisher/writer/editor of the Lotus ReMarque newsletter.

The only 'bad' thing about the show was that temps were a good 10 to 15 degrees cooler than forecast, and the sun never came out, so a LOT of folks were radically underdressed for the day! 15 miles inland and it was sunny and warm.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
I've got to remove the license plate info from the pictures I took, but I'll try to post some up in a bit.

And Rich, it wasn't me that left that wax residue on the screen mesh on your car...I don't think I ever even waxed the car when I owned it!! Well, I guess I DID leave it there, I just didn't PUT it there!
Haha, no big deal Todd. It's part of the fun of owning a new car. I actually got most of it off with a rag and some elbow grease. I also found some wax disolver/remover at Griot's Garage on-line that I'm going to give a try. By-the-by, did you ever get the "family portrait" you wanted of all your old cars? I have a picture or two that got all the new Lotus in the same image.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
picture

my 2nd in Class '06 Exige

fishtaco's and lotusforsale's '05 Elises

3rd in Class '06 Exige

all the modern Lotus at the show

and last, but certainly not least the 1959 Lotus Elite

*if you would like to see the rest of the pictures I have, click here*

·
Registered
311 Posts
The show was really cool. My first one with the Elise. Congrats to Rich for taking second with the Exige:bow: I really like that car. Well done. I'm going to have to make some changes in order to compete with the Exiges next year. Well at least I'm pretty sure I had the fastest car at the show:D
It was a really nicely organized event in a great location.

On the return trip on Sunday, I ran up on another 2006 Silver Elise on route 50 right before the Bay bridge . I had to pass a bunch of people to catch up. He was moving through traffic at a pretty fast rate as well. It was fun. Only slighly above the speed limit:shift:

A guy in a turbo charged 240 SX also came up to play on the other side of the Bay bridge. What's up with this road? Kept letting hear his blow-off valve. We finally made it into a clearer section and I dropped into fourth and opened it up. Pulled away pretty well and got prompts from him when he caught up.

Looking forward to the Fall Brits only show in Maryland on October 18th. Hope to see some more Lotus show up.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Sorry I missed this - NEXT YEAR!

I was hoping to come out with my Cub Racer, but alas it was not in the cards. :( No way I woulda allowed that psuedo-british Mini to take top-slot honors!! LOL.

My 18-year-old son had to go and pick the same day as his senior prom date, and I was supplying his (another car) wheels.

CONGRATS RICH on the recognition of your fine car in your inaugural event! :bow:
WAY TO GO!! :clap:

BTW, I did make it out to The Abingdon Lowe's "Friday Cruisers" event, and hope to see you there as well, again sometime soon.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts
I think that if only one Exige (any one) had shown up, it would have taken first in class, but I'm guessing the votes were split really evenly between our cars. You know what else would have helped? If certain Lotus people hadn't voted for the green Mini! j/k :D

It was a really nice looking car and definitely more "classic" appeal. I sorta felt like the Elises/Exiges didn't quite fit in.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts