The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Capital Triumph Register is again holding their big annual show at Collingwood in Alexandria, VA. Nice grounds, and there have been some very nice cars at past shows. I'm not affiliated with the club, but they run a pretty good show.

Show runs Sunday, 4/27/08, from 9:30AM to 3:30PM. Their flyer says that display space is limited due to construction around Collingwood, so they recommend pre-registration. Link to registration ($15 per car to be displayed if registered on or before April 18, $20 afterwards) is -

http://216.119.85.238/bog/bogreg2008.asp

It would be great to have a bunch of Lotus there. Below is a picture I took at Collingwood two years ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
My wife signed us up, so we should be there...

Anyone else going?

By the way, the orange one on the left in the photo above is mine... ;)

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife and I will be there - I REALLY hope the weather is good.

Note: The Triumph Club sent out the following, regarding avoiding a marathon that will be held that day, but not everyone registered got it -
=======
ROAD CLOSURE IMPACTS BRITAIN ON THE GREEN!

We have been informed by the Capital Triumph Register that the GW Parkway will be closed to traffic until mid-morning on April 27, the day of the Britain on the Green show at Collingwood due to a marathon race. Alternate driving directions are posted on the Triumph Register web site at:

www.capitaltriumphregister.com/BOG_2008/BOG_Driving_Instructions_08.pdf
======

(I'll just be driving down Ft. Hunt Road, and making a left into Collingwood.)

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Still a few days off but the weather is looking a little iffy.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Weather as of now is looking a bit more promising for the show on Sunday.

Not so much for the all-British autorcross at Bowie Baysox stadium tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
weather looking bad for this event. Thinking I'll spend part of the day under the car installing Alex's fastener kit instead...

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BOG - Good Lotus turnout!

Despite iffy-looking weather, it never *really* rained, though conditions were a little muddy and slippery. In the end, we had 9 Lotus turn up - 5 Elises (3 Ardent Red and 2 Chrome Orange), a Seven, a Europa TC, an Espirit S4, and an Elite Type 14. A pretty good showing. Lots of interest in all the cars.
Since the Aston Martin contingent was mostly older Vantage V8s, I felt like we probably had, as a group, the most exotic cars there.

Pictures below -

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I'll add a few more photos - the line up of Lotus cars and a couple of photos of the beautiful Elite:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The Seven in the line up, and a Catherham in the parking lot (painted the proper color of course :D):

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Another view of the line up, and one of our forum members (He'll have to say who it is :D - I'm in one of the previous photos, but I'm not admitting to it :p):

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The line up from the top of the hill:

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Finally, my car on the way out, and my son with an ear to ear grin because he was driving it home by himself :eek::

Attachments

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
So who won 1st and 2nd for the L class? Did the Elite get 1st?
I think the Elite arrived rather late, so it didn't get many votes (but it should have won - I think it did last year). I believe that the Super Seven was first and the Europa was second.

I'd have felt bad if an Elise won. Old cars restored or in original condition should win over "new" cars no matter how well cleaned up they are. My Elise was rather dirty - my spring wash and wax usually precedes taking it to the show - since the previous day was raining and I wasn't able to work on it. :shrug:

(A friend is one of the guys that puts on the show, so I like to show up).

Then, with my son backing it into the parking spot, and spinning the tires on the wet grass/mud didn't help when the mud went flying all over the side of the car. rotfl

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I just noticed that I forgot to post the photo of the engine compartment of the Elite. Here it is -nice... :up:

Attachments

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, Tim.

That's me in the second picture in post 13. I'm talking to some MG-owning friends.

The guy with the JPS Europa lives less than a mile from me. I had never seen his car before. He left the show early, but I pulled up next to him in traffic near my home about 2 hours later.

I agree with Tim. I like going to shows, but after years bringing an older (1972) Lotus, I feel that awards should go to the older cars, where it's a real credit to the owner that they're still in good shape. I am morally opposed to giving an award to a brand-new Caterham (or Morgan), when there's a beautiful, 40-year old one right next to it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts