The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brits on the Green at Gunston Hall in Lorton, Va this Sunday 4/27. Haven't been in a few years but usually has a great turnout of all things British.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Bummer - planning on going to the Annapolis cars and coffee that day. If I get back over to VA early I'll hit it on my way back.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bummer - planning on going to the Annapolis cars and coffee that day. If I get back over to VA early I'll hit it on my way back.
Field closes at Noon, I think so after that you'll be parked in spectator area. Don't know what the registration is for day of show.

Annapolis C & C is every Sunday, these bigger brit car shows happen only once a year!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Are you still planning on Katies on sat as well? That's a whole lot of cars and coffee in one weekend.

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,691 Posts
Brits on the Green at Gunston Hall in Lorton, Va this Sunday 4/27. Haven't been in a few years but usually has a great turnout of all things British.
It's a nice venue (Gunston Hall) - better layout, and MUCH more space than Collingswood had. I can't make it this year - have a great time! I love Britain On The Green.

--Bob Collum

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You sir, are hardcore.
Nah...if he were REALLY hardcore he'd be at Katie's early on Saturday, stay no more than an hour, then head up to Hunt Valley Horsepower. Sunday he'd start early at the Church of the Holy Donut in Burtonsville, MD, go to Annapolis, then swing back to VA to end his day at Brits on the Green.

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,691 Posts
Nah...if he were REALLY hardcore he'd be at Katie's early on Saturday, stay no more than an hour, then head up to Hunt Valley Horsepower. Sunday he'd start early at the Church of the Holy Donut in Burtonsville, MD, go to Annapolis, then swing back to VA to end his day at Brits on the Green.
...But, then, he would have missed Fair Lakes on Sunday! ;)

--Bob

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...But, then, he would have missed Fair Lakes on Sunday! ;)

--Bob
True enough, should start there on Sunday then to Brit on the Green.

Do Holy Donut and Annapolis the following weekend!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Lol - Have a friend in Annapolis that is seeing the Lotus for the first time...hence doing that one Sunday morning. I do like myself a good donut though...

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what time is this thing running? haven't seen times posted anywhere.
Preregistration not required, but if you show up w/out preregistration (too late now) getting through the gate and to the field takes a little longer.

From the website:

Schedule: Sunday, April 27, 2014

9:30 AM Show Field Opens
12:00 PM Registration Closes
10:00 – 1:30 Participants’ Choice Balloting
11:00 – 2:30 Entertainment
10:00 – 2:30 Food and beverage available for purchase
2:30 – 3:00 Awards Presentation
All day: The Gunston Hall Plantation house and grounds will be open for your enjoyment!

http://www.capitaltriumphregister.com/bog/schedule/

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anybody heading over from Maryland who'd like to caravan over?

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This was a nice show, probably close to 300 cars. Some really nice brit machines, including I think 3 or 4 three wheel morgans (along with a dozen other morgans).

I've been to a lot of British Car shows over the last 20 or so years. In the 'old' days in each marque you'd see one or two really, truly pristine cars, the rest being in various states of well to over use. These days it seems like more and more of the old cars have been carefully restored. In every class there were probably a half dozen or more cars that looked virtually new.

Lotus parking was where it usually is in these shows...ALL the way in the back. Farthest walk to food, to restrooms, to everything.

There were only three Lotus registered in class: a nice 67 Elan (which I think probably won...I didn't stay until the end), a 79 Eclat in very nice shape, and my Europa. The guy with the Eclat had virtually just bought it, and this was his first real drive in it. Turns out he lives about 5 miles from me, so that means he had a 55 mile or so drive to the show. Brave guy. I think I would've driven the car around in a 10 mile radius of my home for a few weeks before committing to a 100 plus mile round trip.

A guy and his wife came by the Lotus area, he said he was restoring a 73 TC Europa. Had been working on it for 10 years. He then said they showed up at the show in their 78 Esprit. When I asked why he didn't bring it in the show he said he couldn't stay very long.

Forum members Fermi and Almighty showed up, but too late to get their Elise's into the show.

And EuroMotors Lotus showed up with their two demo Evoras: a yellow and a black. They parked elsewhere.

I hadn't been to this show in the last few years since I sold the Exige. Back then for several years running there had been a very strong Lotus turnout with a good mix of new and older Lotus. Was disappointed not to see more cars.

For awhile there there were more Triumph Heralds than there were Lotus.

Don't know that I'll do this one again, though. DC Beltway, then I 95 South wasn't so bad early Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon, the trip back was less than fun. Heavy Interstate and Beltway traffic is no place for a car as small as the Europa.

There are three more Brit car days in MD coming up over the next couple of months that will be more pleasant to drive to. Frederick in two weeks, then Westminster and Lilypons in June, all can be gotten to via great backroads.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How 'bout that....

I left the show early, before the winners were announced, because a) I wanted to get a jump on I95 and DC Beltway traffic, and b) from the looks of things the nice 67 Elan that won the Lotus class last year was going to repeat. While sitting with the car it seemed to me that the Elan was getting 10 votes for every one for my car.

Just found out that my car won the Lotus class. Well, there were only 3 of us, and one was an Eclat.

But a win is a win.

·
Registered
712 Posts
This was a nice show, probably close to 300 cars. Some really nice brit machines, including I think 3 or 4 three wheel morgans (along with a dozen other morgans).

I've been to a lot of British Car shows over the last 20 or so years. In the 'old' days in each marque you'd see one or two really, truly pristine cars, the rest being in various states of well to over use. These days it seems like more and more of the old cars have been carefully restored. In every class there were probably a half dozen or more cars that looked virtually new.

Lotus parking was where it usually is in these shows...ALL the way in the back. Farthest walk to food, to restrooms, to everything.

There were only three Lotus registered in class: a nice 67 Elan (which I think probably won...I didn't stay until the end), a 79 Eclat in very nice shape, and my Europa. The guy with the Eclat had virtually just bought it, and this was his first real drive in it. Turns out he lives about 5 miles from me, so that means he had a 55 mile or so drive to the show. Brave guy. I think I would've driven the car around in a 10 mile radius of my home for a few weeks before committing to a 100 plus mile round trip.

A guy and his wife came by the Lotus area, he said he was restoring a 73 TC Europa. Had been working on it for 10 years. He then said they showed up at the show in their 78 Esprit. When I asked why he didn't bring it in the show he said he couldn't stay very long.

Forum members Fermi and Almighty showed up, but too late to get their Elise's into the show.

And EuroMotors Lotus showed up with their two demo Evoras: a yellow and a black. They parked elsewhere.

I hadn't been to this show in the last few years since I sold the Exige. Back then for several years running there had been a very strong Lotus turnout with a good mix of new and older Lotus. Was disappointed not to see more cars.

For awhile there there were more Triumph Heralds than there were Lotus.

Don't know that I'll do this one again, though. DC Beltway, then I 95 South wasn't so bad early Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon, the trip back was less than fun. Heavy Interstate and Beltway traffic is no place for a car as small as the Europa.

There are three more Brit car days in MD coming up over the next couple of months that will be more pleasant to drive to. Frederick in two weeks, then Westminster and Lilypons in June, all can be gotten to via great backroads.
It was great meeting you out there, and a HUGE congrats on the win. I'll still say that your car is truly a piece of work that you'd have to see in person to really appreciate it. No pic that I've seen does this car justice. It's awesome, and enjoy the victory.

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,691 Posts
I left the show early, before the winners were announced, because a) I wanted to get a jump on I95 and DC Beltway traffic, and b) from the looks of things the nice 67 Elan that won the Lotus class last year was going to repeat. While sitting with the car it seemed to me that the Elan was getting 10 votes for every one for my car.

Just found out that my car won the Lotus class. Well, there were only 3 of us, and one was an Eclat.

But a win is a win.
Congrats on the win! (Whoa! My 1000th BSpeed post!)

--Bob Collum

1 - 19 of 19 Posts