The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another reminder of the British Car Day at Lilypons in Montgomery County on Sunday. Cut and paste message I got from the head of the DC Chapter of Lotus Ltd today:

"Just a quick reminder that British Car Day will be this Sunday RAIN OR SHINE, at the Lilyponds Water Gardens in Adamstown Maryland! We will be having a potluck picnic at the event. Everyone is invited back to the Lotus Cabin afterward for a cookout.

We will be helping to set up Saturday morning if you are in the neighborhood of Lilyponds.

This is a family friendly event!"

If you not met any of the local Lotus crowd, including the Lotus group outside the immediate Exige/Elise circle, this is the place to do it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Directions?

I'll search for the thread, but... Is this the one that includes the drive, and was posted up in another thread somewhere too with Directions (off 355 I think), or is this something entirely different/separate?

·
Registered
773 Posts
2 DIFFERENT events?

Okay, did my search, and here is what I come up with:

This thread (which is Lilypons).
The BCD Thread (again - Lilypons).
Then THIS HERE (which seems like a totally different and SEPARATE event, altogether)!

So then, which... if any (or is it logistically and reasonably possible to do BOTH?) is anyone from here, actually going to?

I'm now confused.

·
***** lurker
732 Posts

Then THIS HERE (which seems like a totally different and SEPARATE event, altogether)!

So then, which... if any (or is it logistically and reasonably possible to do BOTH?) is anyone from here, actually going to?

I'm now confused.
All of the threads about Lilypons are the same event. The euro rally starts in Germantown, but I think they said they would be heading up near Adamstown at some point, so if you wanted to do both, you could start with them and just break off when you get near Frederick.

Hope to see you there!

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

I'm now confused.
Like Pugg said, they are two different events. The drive is an all euro event that meets at Starbucks, goes for a drive and winds up with lunch.

The Lilypons event is an annual British Car Day, generally the largest one annually on the east coast.

Two years ago Lotus was the featured marque, and there were about 30 or 35 Lotus there, including Elise, Exige, Europa, Elite, Eclat, Esprit, Elan, as well as the Esprit X180R race team.

Along with several hundred other British cars of all vintage.

Last year the show was something of a wash, with about half the usual cars, because of the weather. The weather for tomorrow will probably bring a very large turnout.

Good place to meet the wider Lotus community beyond L Talk. There is a DC/Baltimore Chapter of Lotus Ltd, and most of those guys will be at this show.

Word is the DC Chapter is contemplating putting in a bid to host a future LOG, the last they did was in Leesburg in 94, I believe. If you want to be a part of planning such an event, come by and meet the Lotus Ltd folks. Look for Phil Mitchell, he generally is in his Black Esprit with some rather extreme yellow striping (you'll know it when you see it), or Kris Kosko, who drives a blue Europa Special.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If I was thinking of actually entering my car in the show portion though, rather than just being a spectator/visitor, could I still reasonably do both? What time would you say would be the latest to get entered and still have that opportunity (and of course a chance to win!;))? It seems as if the Euro Drive will run until something like 1PM, but like you say, I could always break off from that at some good logistical point and come to the BCD too. Does this make sense to do though? If the 2 of you are doing (apparently) only the Lilypons BCD - what time do you intend to arrive, and... how long would one be "required" to stay (to be a participant)? Also, anyone know if there will be any Lotus in the Euro drive at all? Somehow I had thought some of us LTr's were participating in that. Would THAT be even worth my while then? How many Lotus are we looking to have at either of these?

Posting from my son's account, as he is the one who found and showed this to me too in the 1st place. So sorry for the confusion, and THANKS for any input/thoughts/suggestions. Yes indeed, hope to see you there! :)

Cheers,
-Grant

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If I was thinking of actually entering my car in the show portion though, rather than just being a spectator/visitor, could I still reasonably do both? What time would you say would be the latest to get entered and still have that opportunity (and of course a chance to win!;))? It seems as if the Euro Drive will run until something like 1PM, but like you say, I could always break off from that at some good logistical point and come to the BCD too. Does this make sense to do though? If the 2 of you are doing (apparently) only the Lilypons BCD - what time do you intend to arrive, and... how long would one be "required" to stay (to be a participant)? Also, anyone know if there will be any Lotus in the Euro drive at all? Would THAT be even worth my while then? How many Lotus are we looking to have at either of these?

Posting from my son's account, as he is the one who found and showed this to me too in the 1st place. So sorry for the confusion, and THANKS for any input/thoughts/suggestions. Yes indeed, hope to see you there! :)

Cheers,
-Grant
Grant,

It's participant voting, so voting takes place throughout the day. Voting usually ends around 1 or 2, with awards around 3, more or less. They prefer the winners be present, because at this show the winners drive by a spot to get their awards, be announced, and I believe a photo shot.

The later you get there, you may miss votes from those early voters.

You don't have to be preregistered, if you're not, the checkin process is just a bit longer. They MAY stop registration around Noon, a lot of shows do.

If the field fills, they will stop registration when that happens.

The weather will be good, the other drive will be fun, and as well the show will be a good time with lots of very nice cars of all kinds and some good people.

Don't come to win, or at least don't be disappointed if you don't. Voting for cars, especially in the Elise/Exige category, often gets down to the voter's favorite color, and not much else.

Two or three years ago, when Lotus was the featured marque, the Elise/Exige class was won by a bone stock Storm Titanium, with the silver Exige wheels. This over several creatively striped cars, cars with add on splitters, carbon fiber consoles,and the appearance of two of the first local Exiges, a red (Exigent) and a black (MarkR).

The winner's car was simply nice, tidy, clean and sharp looking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts