The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Part 1
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TSuTesX_llM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TSuTesX_llM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Part 2
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8frg1j8c5JA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8frg1j8c5JA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Part 3
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EnAwSuNIvyY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EnAwSuNIvyY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I think I am starting to really grasp what 2+2 means

Attachments

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
^ great pictures!!!

the guy to the right in the first video looks like Oddjob from Goldfinger...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i think those real-life photographs are much more compelling than the studio images; i get the sense that the evora will be a very compelling car when seen in person, far moreso than the press materials convey...

...the videos have been DMCAed, though, and i never got to see them... :/

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Videos are working still for me. Worth a look. In case they do get removed-

Highlights-
Faceless people milling about the stand
Kimberly and guy from Proton come to the podium.
Unveil and faceless people leave.
("push the button!") Looked like Roger Becker came in to tell them what to do.
31 months development from clean sheet of paper.
Short review of Mike Kimberly involvement with Lotus. Parachuted in to rebuild Lotus.
5 year plan. Recapitalized Group Lotus last March. Key issue. Cornerstone of plan was an all new model, first in 13 years.
Elise/Exige/Europa. Now can move up to Evora.
Added focus on style and design. Hope to widen market to introduce Lotus to new people.
Only true 2+2 transverse mid-engine sportscar on the market. 3.5l all alum power train
0-60 is fast, no numbers
Started October 2006. 18 months to experimental prototype build. built 19 of them on the assembly line.
Description of Group Lotus strengths. Two companies.
Will come out with three new models in the 5 year plan. Total volume will not exceed 6000-8000 units per year to make sure the cars are unique and rare and exclusive. For the few who know the difference.
Lotus Technology and Engineering. In the last year delivered over 340 projects for over 140 clients globally including Tier 1 companies. Offices in UK, Detroit, Japan, China, Malaysia, soon in India and Saudi Arabia (this year).

Sept 14th is 60 year anniv at Hethel. Public welcome.
Shout out to the homies at the factory
Working on the GREEN stuff. Biofuel.Hybrid Electric. 5 electric vehicles per week, first electric sportscars in the world. Assume this is reference to builds for Tesla.
Lotus is on a roll.
Chairman from Proton (it would be cool if he had a bowler hat).
Discusses relationship with Lotus. Impressed with speed of development.
New cars hould appeal to a more mature sportscar enthusiast. Should be faster and more comfortable and still give an exhilarating ride.
Unveils name EVORA
Kimberly thanks, introduces Russell Carr and Roger Becker.
Russell discusses style. Wanted to be beautiful, but functional, aerodynamic, 2+2, modern.Lotus DNA. Should look like a Lotus.
Front radiator exit area, wing and diffuser critical for downforce.
Cut in area under doors for easier ingress/egress.
Short overhang. Strong looking rear haunches. Fluid flowing lines for sleekness.
Proud of the visor screen.

Pure and sporty inside like an Elise. ..but more exotic, sophisticated, elegant. Mentions leather visible stitching, precision engineered metal panels, edgelit momentary buttons.
Roger- roots in vehicle dynamics. Very broad base of customer. Hard core enthusiasts and wider. Stiff structure. 2.5 times that of the Elise.
Stiff new suspension components made of aluminum.
New aluminum structure made in Worcester (seems they brought the chassis fabrication/supply in house).
Custom tires from Yokohama.
Braking system to die for, rather than to die from. His words... reference to present Elise ABS??
Bosch engineers worked on system

Model in short dress gets in and then out
Car turntable spins

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I never understood why car manufacturers would go through the trouble making a 2+2 if you have to chop your legs off in order to fit in the back seat.

Imaginary converstation between me and Mike Kimberley...

MK: We've just come out with a 2+2 lotus!

Me: Why?

MK: To appeal to a larger demographic of people.

Me: But you can't fit in the back seats.

MK: Whats your point.

Me: Well why would you make back seats if you can't fit in them?

MK: So we can say that we have a 2+2 that will appeal to the masses.

Me: Doesn't it go against the fundamentals of lotus to make a daily commuter car with a touch screen, sat-nav, a DVD player and bluetooth?

MK: You don't even own a lotus... what do you know.

Me: I know your mom likes it doggie style.

MK: Ohhhh noooo you didn't!!! It's on now mother F*CKER!!! I'm about to booger hook you back to Frisco!!!!

Then it just gets messy from there... but you get my point.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I think for a large part of the market, it is not really something you consider because you routinely haul 4 adults. It is because every so often, you might have an emergency lunch run and the third person will suck it up and ride in the back. Or you have small children and you can fit a tyke back there. Or you like the ability to toss some luggage, briefcase, stuff... in the back seat area.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...ah, the DMCA takedown has been lifted - hurrah for fair use!..

...the more i see real life images, the more it draws me in...it's much larger in-the-flesh than the press packets suggest, and i think that helps its proportions considerably, the sheer mass brings character to the form and vice-versa...i love the way the interior and exterior design compliment each other, flowing through those wide expanses of glass - it would be shameful to tint the windows of this car...it's a very elegant and refined whole, very twenty-first century sporting, very grand touring i'll even say...

...i think the 2+2 will see a lot of use for ferrying child seats, children, and shopping, just as most back seats are used in proper saloons everyday...

...but the presentation?..honestly, that unveiling was like watching steve jobs' incompetent british cousin MC his third-grade class presentation - i kept waiting to see the kid playing a tree...they definitely need to iron out the dichotomy between high-concept publicity campaigns and low-concept public speakers...

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I will be really supprised if it dosent end up like the M250 wich it will most propably will. I hope im wrong.
:shrug:

Evora is going into production - M250 never had a production plan, it was just a concept car(s). and the business case of the concept was flawed, hence sacked well before produciton plans.

i think you mean "doesn't end up like the M100"

in that regard i don't think so - its a global car - so if america doesn't like it... not a deal killer. its got all the key bits - mid engine, rwd, v-6, real interior, unique baby ferrari'esque styling, limited production - even the elise that has been on sale in the us for right at 4 years is still not nearly as common as say, a caymen.

also, like the elise was, once again it is a high end engineered car - not a parts bin badge (new europa). i am betting - by lotus standards - it will be a success, bring cash flow, and spring board the new esprit and new elise. and thats all lotus really needs as far as car production. 3 distinct models/segments.

if you love the elise - you may not like an evora, and if you like a caymen/911, but want something more individual or perhaps a little more practical, then an evora may attaract there, thats the idea - it is not "the new better elise" its a different segment. i think its a solid plan, that will be comprised with quality products. lotus will never "match" porsche, bmw, mercedes in what they do so well - but in doing that... they have left the back door open for lotus to niche in with something more limited and individual. drumroll the faceless campaign.

go lotus !!:mw:

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
...m...;1061641. said:
..but the presentation?..honestly, that unveiling was like watching steve jobs' incompetent british cousin MC his third-grade class presentation - i kept waiting to see the kid playing a tree...they definitely need to iron out the dichotomy between high-concept publicity campaigns and low-concept public speakers...
+1, i do presentations to pay the bills and thought "give me just 6 hours there and i could have cleaned that up 10x" but ...whatever, still almost like a little family run business in a lot of ways :shift:

·
Registered
712 Posts
2+2

I never understood why car manufacturers would go through the trouble making a 2+2 if you have to chop your legs off in order to fit in the back seat.
Because 2+2 is convenient for many sportcars customers.

If someone wants a pure two seater car, they are plenty of sportcars to choose from. For instance, you can pick Elise, Exige or Espirit. Porsche offer Boxster and cayman, etc...

But for most sportcars fans who have kids, and/or travel long distance with their cars, that extra espace is wonderful and necessarly.

I personally think that the back seat is useful for 2 adult from time to time, and on short trips.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Love the looks of the car, but I would really like to see someone get into the back seats!
From the looks of the models, I would like to see them in the backseat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts