The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
perhaps

You may be right. My own view is that if it goes up too much more, it could make for a relatively short ride for the car.

Like everything else, you can bell curve the would-be buyers for the car. At one end, 10% of folks think the car is a total waste of resources and a total waste of money.

At the other end, 10% want the handling the car offers at nearly any price. They're the ones saying the car is worth many thousands over it's current price, and comparing it to Modenas and Vipers.

Capturing the 80% in the middle is what will determine the future of the car. Most of those folks aren't going to track the car, and aren't going to even drive it 7/10ths. They couldn't care less about the Lotus 'mystique.' And many of those 80% DO weigh the absence of certain amenities that make the car more than a specialized/special use toy...and as the price goes up, their desire for the car goes down.

This is all my humble opinion. All I know is that I've owned 4 Lotus', loved them all, crave the Elise, but if base goes over $45K, I'll be getting my deposit back. I admit it's partly economics...I'm not in a position to justify diverting financial resources much above it's current price for a limited use toy. But it is also partly one of value, or declining value in my eyes.

THAT's academic anyway, as so far my dealer has only ordered 20 cars and delivered less than 10, at least 3 to non line people, so I'm not really even thinking I'll get a car going that route...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
I agree...I'm looking at getting one with LSS, hardtop, starsheild, and touring....if the price keeps on climbing I'll start looking at other cars. Don't get me wrong I love the ELise and what it is.....but their comes a point when the $ amount goes up so high that I wonder if I would be better off spending my money on a car with a little more comfort. Reality is I won't track it that much right now....no time......it will be my sunny day car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
You guys have valid points and your stances make sense. Unfortunately Lotus is caught in a trap of a downward spiraling U.S. dollar and a touchy, borderline market with lots of options. Hard core folks with enough money will stick with the wait for the car, while borderliners and those with long waits might opt for a sweet little S2000, Boxster, or new Vette. Solution? Don't look at me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,270 Posts
Surferjer said:
You guys have valid points and your stances make sense. Unfortunately Lotus is caught in a trap of a downward spiraling U.S. dollar and a touchy, borderline market with lots of options. Hard core folks with enough money will stick with the wait for the car, while borderliners and those with long waits might opt for a sweet little S2000, Boxster, or new Vette. Solution? Don't look at me.
Peripherally we might see a blip in the speculator market as people, percieving a rise in cost, might bite the bullet and get one on open market. However, even with another 1K'ish rise in MSRP it would still be cheaper than 2-3K over in the open market and double taxation with the ~MSRP cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,117 Posts
Kusheen,

Well put! my thoughts EXCATLY.

Remeber lotus saying "we understand the importance of the federal elise being in the under 40k market" ?? well... give it a year from now and Elise's with ~45K stickers on them will be sitting on the floor, and when new cars sit, owned cars decline in value.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,941 Posts
>>>Well put! my thoughts EXCATLY. Remeber lotus saying "we understand the importance of the federal elise being in the under 40k market" ?? well... give it a year from now and Elise's with ~45K stickers on them will be sitting on the floor, and when new cars sit, owned cars decline in value.<<<

Yes but Lotus is going to maintain an order delay. Car sales slow => make less. The idea is to keep available inventory low. Plus the dollar thing does not affect other markets, fortunately for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Elise's Value

I wholely agree with Kusheen. I put myself in that 80% of the bell shaped curve. While the Elise is an oustanding value for a performance car, it is truly a niche car for most everyone. This is not a $50k car! When you add paint, hardtop, touring and LSS as options, with sales tax your over $50k. Another price increase and I'm out. There are to many other car options at that price point that offer performaqnce and value, and over a period of 3-4 years would likely have better resell value in the US market. If Lotus wants to have a presense in the US market, I hope they can fifure this out. I believe their prior leadership understood the dynamics of the US car market.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,293 Posts
Re: Elise's Value

Ralbertina said:
There are to many other car options at that price point that offer performaqnce and value, and over a period of 3-4 years would likely have better resell value in the US market.
Please enlighten us...what other cars where you thinking of when you wrote that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
this may be a bit selfish, but i really don't care what happens to the value of the car...i have mine, i love it, never plan on selling it. if lotus fails with this car, so be it. there will be less on the road and mine will be one of the few. this is not to upset those of you still waiting for a car. i hope you hang in there and take delivery. the car is spectacular and in my opinion very comfortable. it fits like a glove once you get yourself in. yes, it is a niche car, but you know what, that's what i want it for. i have a beater to drive around in. anyone of us could go out and buy a used car for $1k-$2k for driving to work or the store. i look forward to nice days where i can escape from the daily grind and take a spin in the elise. it's exhilarating and a great stress reliever. in my opinion...well worth the sticker price. and i don't make a ton of money. this car was a stretch for me. sorry if i got carried away here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,721 Posts
Re: Re: Elise's Value

Patricko said:
Please enlighten us...what other cars where you thinking of when you wrote that?
We know there is nothing like the elise, but you know if it is the same price as a boxster s, then I might take another look at the boxster s. No, its not as high performance, but its also a lot nicer to drive around in, is fully open top, and at some point becomes a better value for the $ than the elise... at least if you don't absolutely have to have the fastest autox car you can afford.

Similar argument with the C6. Maybe a Z4. There are a lot of sporty cars out there for similar money. None of them are the same, but some might be a better value these days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,293 Posts
europa73 said:
this may be a bit selfish, but i really don't care what happens to the value of the car...i have mine, i love it, never plan on selling it. if lotus fails with this car, so be it. there will be less on the road and mine will be one of the few. this is not to upset those of you still waiting for a car. i hope you hang in there and take delivery. the car is spectacular and in my opinion very comfortable. it fits like a glove once you get yourself in. yes, it is a niche car, but you know what, that's what i want it for. i have a beater to drive around in. anyone of us could go out and buy a used car for $1k-$2k for driving to work or the store. i look forward to nice days where i can escape from the daily grind and take a spin in the elise. it's exhilarating and a great stress reliever. in my opinion...well worth the sticker price. and i don't make a ton of money. this car was a stretch for me. sorry if i got carried away here.
Now you have me confused, I thought from your other post that you were still waiting for your Elise:confused:

Another price increase and I'm out.
If you have your Elise then the point is moot.

Don't worry about getting carried away, we all do:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
I agree this is not a $50,000 car. I value it much higher. For near Supercar performance, this rates an exceptional value in my book. There is no such thing as a "useful" supercar other than fun. I see the Elise in this light. Nevertheless, it's still MY daily driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
Tell me I'm wrong here, but isn't the Boxster made in Germany, and therefore subject to similar issues, maybe the S2000 being built in Japan.

I's thought that $ was also performing pretty badly against at least the Euro as well, hence a bad impact on Boxster pricing.

On a different note, do you think the dollar will worsen more ? I'm just selling my UK house, and was wondering whether it would make sense to bring some Sterling over here to play the currency game
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
I agree with Europa 73 as well.

I have an Elise in the UK, and to justify it drive a beaten up old VW ! When I get in that baby, she really is worth every penny !

The rub is that I may have to sell it to be here, and am not allowed to bring it here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,684 Posts
ajp33 said:

On a different note, do you think the dollar will worsen more ?
yes :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
739 Posts
WSJ today... "European Central Bank expected to support dollar by purchasing currency to protect EU exports"

You folks elected him!!! TWICE.

:huh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
Actually we (not me) elected him once. The first election was stolen away from the people by brother Jeb.

His election has continued a worldwide economic tailspin. My overseas friends wonder where he'll start his next war...:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,293 Posts
Surferjer said:
Actually we (not me) elected him once.
Good of you to agree that he won once at least:)
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top