The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we had our first go at VIR today since the repave/redesign. Were welcomed last night by 5" snow.

Eventually, 2:00 PM we were able to have some laps. I was on Hohos on a damp track, with a few rivulets of melt water.

About ten laps in we were booking it pretty well. Felt nice. The redesign makes for more speed and latitude. Hit the climbing esses with aplompt and set my sights on the new wider South Bend.

To make it brief, a tiny bit of slip was amplified by driver overreaction to produce a great off. Fortunately to the right, way way down the hill, back end first, long slow 180 all the way to the bottom.

This was all snow in deep brown winter grass. No way to climb out with the Hohos. They pulled us out very nicely. No black flag. We were that far off.

So, somewhere along the way the splitter found the Earth and busted up the front clam well enough.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Supercar Sports car

I guess we'll go back with a Sector Raceclam. But a monotone reminds me of a blind cave fish. NASCAR style headlight decals from a Chevy? What else has anyone seen or done?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Look at it as a great opportunity to get creative with a bucket of paint.

I'm scheduled to get my first look at VIR in three weeks. I'm trusting the snow will be gone or I've got a real problem!

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly. Just looking for ideas.

·
Premium Member
3,039 Posts
That sucks. Happy to hear you're ok and it wasn't worse. You could have someone airbrush "headlights" in before you throw the clear on it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
In all seriousness, if I was replacing the front half of a car that's track only, I'd turn it into an art car. Asymmetrical, varying width, criss-crossing orange or umber stripes from front to back over a low-beltline Gold-Leaf-type valence treament.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've spoken with Jim a few times at VIR, an impressive program he's got underway. And yes his car's graphics are nice.

Would like to see some pictures of what has been done with "eyeless" Lotus etc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts