The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have a problem with my Elise. I started up my car today after it sat in my garage for about 6 days. I had the 1000 mile service done about 2 weeks ago and have about 1300 miles on the car now.

I started the car, let it idle for about 15 seconds, turned the steering wheel to the left a little while pulling forward in 1st gear, and felt a little jolt in the car. I pulled it onto my driveway, hopped out and noticed a puddle under the front right corner of the car. I immediately shut the car down. The puddle started where I believe I felt the jolt and then trickled out to where I stopped the car. It appears to be coming from the oil cooler in the front right corner. There are little drips under the front bumper directly under the oil cooler. It sure smells like oil. The car is being flat bed towed to LoA tomorrow morning. (straps on wheels) I can't find any damage to the car and the oil level is fine.

I am really curious as to what this could be. Does anyone have an idea what it could be? The car showed no signs of any problems prior to this happening.

Thanks,
Dan Parker

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sorry to hear.

Since you turned the wheel when you heard the pop, maybe its POWER STEERING FLUID :D :D

Honestly, no clue, must have had an oil line come unplugged.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Boy, wouldn't that have sucked if you had sold it in the auction and it was the new owner picking it up :eek: .

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Your elise was sad, her feelings were hurt and she started to cry -eek-

Kidding aside, I would like to know what could have happend if it happened on the Hwy and he had not felt that jolt

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
The car doesnt have power steering.

Its got to be either oil or brake fluid, or maybe clutch fluid.

Or it could just be low on front blinker fluid:)

Does the car have a oil pressure guage. If you start it and the pressure is low and oil leaks out that is probably what it is, but if it is you dont want oil all over the car and the floor.

Is the air conditioner working? I think they have some type of oil line in them, but I dont know if it is the front of the car or not?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I don't know how... but as you said there was a jolt , it sounds like the front tyre caught something attached to the oil cooler ?
Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it has something to do with the oil cooler. Lotus is footing the bill for transport (thank you) so Ill know better tomorrow. Glad it happened in my driveway. Isn't that 2 Elise's that have broken down at home now?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
eliseowner2b said:
Lotus is footing the bill for transport (thank you) so Ill know better tomorrow.
That's one of the things I'm going to LOVE about owning a Lotus. I really get the sense that they go out of their way to take care of the owner, you and Tech's problems, albeit unfortunate, are well inline with that thinking. I've known a couple of espirit owners who got new engines from Lotus. How many car companies would do that?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I talked to LoA service today. Apparently, the oil cooler is defective and sprung a leak! They are calling me back on Monday with an eta on the part. I sure am glad this happened in my driveway and not while driving.
Dan

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
-Jd- I haven't taken the time to search for shots on killboy. I assume there are more as we saw people taking pics on the side of the road.

-Zvezdah- I sure hope the car isn't down a long time. I was going to hit the dragon's tail this weekend but my car is in lock down now! Funny thing, I have an Audi TT and I just don't get excited about driving it since I got my Elise. It just feels huge and too refined.

Dan

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
eliseowner2b said:
I talked to LoA service today. Apparently, the oil cooler is defective and sprung a leak! They are calling me back on Monday with an eta on the part. I sure am glad this happened in my driveway and not while driving.
Dan
Defective oil cooler? This doesn't sound good. You are one lucky guy. If this happend while driving down the highway, you could have lost all oil and ceased the motor:eek:

Best of Luck and keep us posted.

Mitch

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Joetz,

How many miles did your car have when it happened? Mine had just over 1300. What were the circumstances when it occured? With the low number of Elises on the road, this sounds like it may be a problem. I called LoA yesterday and asked if they had an ETA but they are waiting for a call from Lotus USA.

Zvezdah,

You have owned a few Lotus cars. Any guesses as to how long this may take?

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
hermanslotus said:
Defective oil cooler? This doesn't sound good. You are one lucky guy. If this happend while driving down the highway, you could have lost all oil and ceased the motor:eek:

Best of Luck and keep us posted.

Mitch
I hope that you would get a low oil pressure warning before it came to that:eek:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts