The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was replacing the bushings on my front suspension, I ran across a broken front driver side spring. About half way up, broken all the way through. Looks like it just happened as there isn't grinding on the shock or any other damage. This is something I have never seen before, kind of surprising!

I have Spax coil overs but I hear they use stock springs. Anyone upgraded their springs and have some stock ones hanging around?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I might have a set from when I upgraded to SPAX shocks and put on Eibach springs. What year is your Esprit? Mine is a 1994

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Saw these on ebay the other day, not much information in the listing...

Lotus Esprit Front Coil Springs Yellow Purple | eBay
These would almost certainly be the correct springs for an '88. Double check your VIN #. The letter (D, F, etc.) refers to the 12th character in the VIN, the number (e.g. 3582) is the last four.

Prior to VIN #
85 D 3582
82 D 3587
85/82 - 1152
82/F - 2728 (USA RHD)
82/F - 2749 (USA LHD)
82/F - 5000

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine VIN is F 2152 but my springs are painted yellow and white. Guessing it is a very minor difference in spring weight. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
The manual states that the yellow/purple are a direct replacement for the yellow/white, so you should be good to go.

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ordered. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
:up:

·
Glutton For Punishment
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got those springs, swapped them out, all good. They were exactly as spec'd at 110 lbs/in. Check out this broken spring, warranty perhaps? ;)

Also a photo of the proper way to compress springs on these cars.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts