The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I can't drive (winter here) my new to me 06 Elise with a VF stage two SC, I thought I might as well check everything over. So glad I did, there is a long list of things not done right or in need of attention. With the clam off, one of the obvious problems is a broken securing bracket on both the intake pipe and the intercooler. I think the method of securing the intake pipe rather tightly is not such a good idea. With the engine moving on it's mounts a fair bit and the short silicone pipe trying to take up the movement, the bracket is the loser. I'm going to fasten a sling type bracket for it so it is supported yet free to move. The intercooler is fairly heavy and the top bracket is not very stout. I'll have a reinforcing plate welded to the IC and then a more substantial bracket welded to it.
But I have to ask, anyone else have these issues and what did you do to fix it? Maybe there is a better way. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Great progress today. I had a 1/4" aluminum tab welded onto the old boss location as there was lots to weld onto at that point. The intercooler is now well supported. For the intake pipe, I ground the old tab mounting point smooth and then added a stainless hose clamp with a silicone rubber strip under it. Then I fashioned a stainless U clamp to fit in the void where there is no rubber strip. That clamp fastens onto the original hanger (the clamp bolt is not tightened, I just mocked it up for the pic). Simple and works as planned. Tomorrow I'll post a new thread on chasing boost leaks, very illuminating.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
David, yes that is a weak point. Do you have stiff motor mounts? That is almost a necessity with the VF style kits. For mine, I made a free floating cushioned intake tube that relies on the aftermarket 4 ply hump connector at the throttle body. I also used a thick cable tie for support around roll bar.This allows some motion without metal to metal contact. I also used a piece of silicone boost hose to separate intake and boost hard pipes to prevent rubbing. This has worked for 10 years with no issues. I will try and get closeup pics tomorrow. You should also check the supercharger nose bracket for cracks at the engine mount attachment. (Review my old posts). I supplemented this bracket with a piece of steel which is much stronger than the billet bracket. Jermaine still sells a new bracket and I have an extra but to replace requires a lot of work.I can explain better via voice so pm me if you want to talk. Tommy

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
David, yes that is a weak point. Do you have stiff motor mounts? That is almost a necessity with the VF style kits. For mine, I made a free floating cushioned intake tube that relies on the aftermarket 4 ply hump connector at the throttle body. I also used a thick cable tie for support around roll bar.This allows some motion without metal to metal contact. I also used a piece of silicone boost hose to separate intake and boost hard pipes to prevent rubbing. This has worked for 10 years with no issues. I will try and get closeup pics tomorrow. You should also check the supercharger nose bracket for cracks at the engine mount attachment. (Review my old posts). I supplemented this bracket with a piece of steel which is much stronger than the billet bracket. Jermaine still sells a new bracket and I have an extra but to replace requires a lot of work.I can explain better via voice so pm me if you want to talk. Tommy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input Tommy. I agree, with the design of the VF kit, the short silicone hoses are no match for the engine movement that occurs. The result is broken mounts for the pipes and IC. I most likely will add an insert to the front & rear mounts to keep the movement tolerable. Funny you should mention the nose bracket. Not much stress on mine as the clamping bolt was missing, Yikes! And the rear brace was loose too. All good now. I sent you a PM as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts