The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I performed my second Redline MT-90 gearbox flush today and noticed a broken shift cable sleeve while under the car (photos attached). Should I be concerned about this?
FYI my car is a 2008 S240 with 6K miles and no track time. It used to shift like butter, but smooth shifting is now hit or miss.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, SCamper, I was thinking the same thing. Is the metal cable supposed to move inside the grey sleeve/sheath? I examined the cable while my assistant rowed through the gears...the visible and rusted part of the cable did not move, but I heard the gears did change.

Any additional advice, I'm using my beater for now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. They are just cables that move arms... it's a pretty simple ordeal. It would take a good bit of deterioration to cause a breakdown. The gear select levers on the transmission move with little force so it's not like a catastrophic failure will happen. I suspect that the inside of the housing is lined with teflon or some other type of self lubricating material. The wound steel housing is there to resist compression. I suspect, even if there is minimal surface rust on those braids, that the steel will still serve it's purpose.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't worry about it. They are just cables that move arms... it's a pretty simple ordeal. It would take a good bit of deterioration to cause a breakdown. The gear select levers on the transmission move with little force so it's not like a catastrophic failure will happen. I suspect that the inside of the housing is lined with teflon or some other type of self lubricating material. The wound steel housing is there to resist compression. I suspect, even if there is minimal surface rust on those braids, that the steel will still serve it's purpose.
Thanks for the input...funny thing is that the car was at the dealership last week because of sloppy shifting and I was told :tadts: lmao

"galagola1" can you confirm that the steel braided cable is supposed to move within the teflon housing/sleeve? The exposed steel cable in the picture does not move while shifting (ie. the same one-inch section remains exposed at all times).

I appreciate the advice :up:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I reposted my photos:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/broken-shift-cable-only-blue-cables-89899/#post1768714

I did have the exact same issue where the shift cable was falling apart - I could bearly get the car into reverse. When I brought the car in (2007 exigeS) to the dealer it was still under warranty and the cable took 2 months to come in (by then warranty has expired) - Of course they replaced it no charge. They replaced with a grey cable just like yours. and it shifted much better.

5 months down the road shifting felt funny again - the exact same thing happened to the replaced grey shift cable. I brought the car in and they replaced to another cable (also grey). The cable has been fine since; it has been exactly one year now.

Original cable on the car:

Broken replacement:

·
A1 Automotive & Smog
908 Posts
The one that matters is the one behind that rubber boot. In there suppose to be plastic sleeve that always broken and makes you can't shift to 2,4, and 6. If you have LETSLA, you'll have aluminum housing to protect that plastic. Or just replace with SSC cable that comes with metal housing already.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"mc21" you seem to have experienced what I'm going through right now. Reverse gear has been intermittently grinding and shifting is not as precise anymore. Based on your experiences, I should replace this cable.

Sorry to ask the same question again...but is the "visible" exposed steel cable supposed to move while actuating the shifter? I was under the impression that it should.

Thank you

·
Registered
289 Posts
Gear cable failure?

What you see is the outer sheath on the cable has shrunk due heat and exposed the outer cable. This is common and does not affect the operation of the cable. The outer cable does not move.

You can tape over the section to protect it but exposed section is unlikely to cause problems.

As indicated in an earlier post, the section that fails is on the other side of the bracket - the inner cable that controls movement. The weak point is the plastic guide sleeve. The SSC cables replace this with a brass nickel plated unit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What you see is the outer sheath on the cable has shrunk due heat and exposed the outer cable. This is common and does not affect the operation of the cable. The outer cable does not move.

You can tape over the section to protect it but exposed section is unlikely to cause problems.

As indicated in an earlier post, the section that fails is on the other side of the bracket - the inner cable that controls movement. The weak point is the plastic guide sleeve. The SSC cables replace this with a brass nickel plated unit.
Ahhh...so there is another "layer" within the exposed steel cable which actually performs the shifting. Thank you for the detailed explanation. I'll tape up the exposed section, and adjust the heim joint at the shift lever side.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Shift cable fail

Attached is a shift cable schematic. – It is the SSC one but is of similar form to the factory cable - The SSC one has spherical Heim joints (and metal guide sleeves).

Left is gearbox end.

3. Is the sleeve that most commonly fails (inside the rubber boot)
1. Is the inner cable.

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
^ Cant wait to get a pair of these in. My crossgate cable is sticking side-to-side; need effort to shift & if its warm enough outside, I can nudge the shifter far left or far right & it will stick in place & not fall back into neutral.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
^ Amen brother!

·
Registered
668 Posts
^ Cant wait to get a pair of these in. My crossgate cable is sticking side-to-side; need effort to shift & if its warm enough outside, I can nudge the shifter far left or far right & it will stick in place & not fall back into neutral.
did you get the new cables? and did that fix the problem? i am thinking on getting the cables, cause mine sticks side to side (cross gate cable) and the forward/back cable ( shift cable is actually ok. so i might just switch one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts