The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just wanted to reach out to see what advice/shop recommendations I can get for replacing the windshield. I already contacted insurance and just need to pick a shop. The first ones that come to mind are Inokinetic or A1. Do you guys have any recommendations in the SoCal area?

Also, has anyone replaced their windshield with the GRP Polycarbonate? Can you still use windshield wipers for these, are these recommended for daily driving?

Any help would be appreciated...:confused:

Attachments

·
A1 Automotive & Smog
908 Posts
GRP windshield is great! Cheaper, lighter, no problem with washing and not easily scratch. Use a lot of water during cleaning to prevent scratch. The clarity is almost the same as glass, but of course the glass still can't be beat! The OE windshield comes with new rubber frame where GRP doesn't, so had to rip the rubber frame from the old windshield and put them into the GRP's one. So quality wise, get the OEM, but economy or lighter weight get GRP.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GRP windshield is great! Cheaper, lighter, no problem with washing and not easily scratch. Use a lot of water during cleaning to prevent scratch. The clarity is almost the same as glass, but of course the glass still can't be beat! The OE windshield comes with new rubber frame where GRP doesn't, so had to rip the rubber frame from the old windshield and put them into the GRP's one. So quality wise, get the OEM, but economy or lighter weight get GRP.
Thank you for the feedback!!!! :bow:
I just contacted Julio at Mulholland Motorsports and we have already started the process. I will just go OEM and get PPF on the front of the windshield to prevent future damage. :clap:

Reactions: Harix and darkSol

·
Registered
2007 Lotus Exige S
156 Posts
Looks like it must've been a heck of a stone! Would PPF really do anything for you with that type of impact?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like it must've been a heck of a stone! Would PPF really do anything for you with that type of impact?
Yeah, it had to be a good size. It actually came from oncoming traffic!!! There were no cars ahead of me in my lane. I'm not sure how much the ppf would protect against a stone like that but it would be nice to have for all the small chips and sand blasts out here in the desert. :shrug:

·
Administrator
1,544 Posts
I used a windshield repair shop to fix a far worse looking star with crack 6" long and piece missing at the plinth. Can't hardly tell and I'm happy with the repairs especially since new one was almost $1500 installed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts