The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting caught in a windstorm last fall and pitting the windshield and front end, I finally took a rock to the windshield and broke it well :facepalm Any recommendations on replacement? Is it better to go through dealer or glass shop? Any ideas appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I would try the dealer first, because the challenge is sourcing the windshield. Not sure anyone else has a decent chance of getting one.

·
hello
299 Posts
Dealer or lotus specialty shop.

I also had to replace my windshield due to a rock damage and when talking to the local glass shops it became apparent they had no clue how to handle a lotus. Given the high price of the windshield (that had to be ordered via the dealer), the extra work cost is negligible.

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
It is a VERY simple replacement job. Notice all the exposed edges. Just make sure stops are new or clean and any competent glass folks can do the job. I know because I used to do this 25+ years ago.

·
Registered
422 Posts
When I got mine replaced a couple years back, the company I used had to get the glass from the (now closed) dealership. Then they sent three guys out to do the job. Billed the insurance company over $1,300.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I would rather a competent glass shop do the install. They have the right tools and caulking materials and do it every day. Also most dealers bring in outside glass shops to do their in house work anyway.

The glass shop will have to buy the glass directly from a Lotus dealer as no aftermarket glass exists for the Elise (also cost like $850 just for glass/ Accord is like $300 installed)

I believe the install requires removing the front clam. They quoted me a 4 hour install. However I had the clam already off because I was working on other stuff. They were done in 45 min and it was pretty simple job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts