The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone notice that if someone posts about a new product that offers competition to a "site sponsor's" product it gets deleted immediately?

If there's a good product out there that Lotus enthusiasts would like to purchase then it should be allowed to stay here on the forum. If it's better than what a site sponsor currently offers then maybe that sponsor needs to talk to the developer about licensing or distribution through them. :shrug:

·
He's on fire!
3,086 Posts
If you don't like it, go to a different forum. I'm sure google could help you find one you'd be interested in.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I particularly don't like it when they close a thread just because we are being loud and a little rude, take the "one of a kind lotus" thread for example.
There are a couple of other Lotus forums and a lot of members here also frequent them. I'm just saying that this forum doesn't always advocate what's best for "its people".

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
they deleted it here because the small run of the NuKey fobs does not justify the cost of becoming a "forum sponsor" (required to post for sale). the whole culture of the the new lotusfob is to keep the price low and sell to enthusiast... that and the guy making it created this forum and sold it to them, ever since they seem to have a beef with him about anything he does lotus related...

well as we were discussing before on another thread - the commercial site owners do everything to damage the community, but the mod's here are great - it must pain them to "do their job" sometimes... i don't know how (or why) the mod's keep up the good work they do.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
interesting insight from fitfan... moderators "can" be bastards, but it can also be a thankless job which involves being the messenger or implementer of crap policies that will be implemented by the next guy/girl even if they quit.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...enough people quit in frustration and greener pastures flourish elsewhere...

:shrug:

·
Registered
311 Posts
This thread is silly. If the owners asked for donations and had no ads then it would make sense to complain.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish you could get the price to < $80. I'm really trying to justify spending even that on a key.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I have no idea why these moderators continue to work for free when the site is working so hard squeezing every dime with these unpopular policies.

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
I wish you could get the price to < $80. I'm really trying to justify spending even that on a key.
Have you ever had to buy an integrated key for any other car? You'd struggle to get a blank metal key with a manufacturers plastic head and badge on it for that.

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
I have no idea why these moderators continue to work for free when the site is working so hard squeezing every dime with these unpopular policies.
Because we have gained a lot from the community and wish to help it out - if we all quit where would the forum be? Also the site's policies are consistent and not particularly onerous.

·
Super Moderator
6,732 Posts
Have you ever had to buy an integrated key for any other car? You'd struggle to get a blank metal key with a manufacturers plastic head and badge on it for that.
some bmw keys cost in excess of $400 :eek:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Because we have gained a lot from the community and wish to help it out - if we all quit where would the forum be? Also the site's policies are consistent and not particularly onerous.
^^^THIS^^^ As a moderator on a couple off off-road forums, threads like this pop up on a regular basis. As mods, we get more crap and complains than we do complements. But, as Adeo stated, it's about giving back to a community that has helped you and trying to help a community stay the same great place that helped you out in the past...

Corporate or private boards operate with the money brought in by sponsors, walking on your sponsors it like kicking your boss in the nuts the day before you annual review -eek- Just does not work well if you want to keep operating.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
First... to the OP, the thread was not archived because it competed with a paying sponsor. Nope. No sponsors have any competing product. So why was it? I am puzzled... the only explanation seems to me to be personal.

Aedo... I (I think more than almost anyone) respect and appreciate moderation and the running of any forum. I know how much work it is. I know the downsides. And I respect you, as I wanted you to be my moderator when I owned this forum.

And I know that you guys are in a tough situation with a lack of admin, lack of real power, and absentee owners. I get that and I feel for you.

But this one decision does NOT seem to be consistent at all. There was a thread that linked to a site I created offering the new Lotus Fob Unikey, the NuKey. It was not from me... who potentially benefits from this, it was from a user who is excited about the new product. What rule does that violate?

I made sure we did not mention my other competing forum. I am 100% behind the idea that trying to get people to another forum is uncool. I wrote that rule for LotusTalk. But that was not violated.

In regards to consistency, go look at all the for sale threads on this forum. I can quickly see people selling their own products to the community and that is okay. In fact, I always supported that. But it is not a consistent application of a rule. If you would like, I can supply a link.. or a hundred links to threads where someone is either linking to an external site selling something....is directly selling something, or both.

If a user finds a cool product on Amazon, Discount Tire, eBay, or any other retailer or finds a cool product that they think would be of interest to the community, that thread is allowed to stay. I can see many examples of it. So why was the Lotus Fob link archived?

I really think I am good at seeing opposing points of view and understanding them, but I am failing to grasp the logic in this one.

To sum up... my intent on creating a separate site for the lotus fob was to be a good neighbor to LotusTalk. I wanted to enable the users here to be able to get what I think is the best Unikey solution ever, and at the same time allow the discussion (hits) to stay on Lotustalk. It would not drive people to any other forum. Where is the fault in that? How is that not a positive situation for LT?

Archiving that thread has only caused a wave of new sign ups at my forum so that they can discuss the group buy and stay informed. That was not my intent.

Again, thanks for the moderating. In the end it is all about community. Always has been, and will be. And I know that is the reason you guys do it.

p.s. I would suggest that not everything about what happened with AF and me is public information. ;)

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
^^^THIS^^^ As a moderator on a couple off off-road forums, threads like this pop up on a regular basis. As mods, we get more crap and complains than we do complements. But, as Adeo stated, it's about giving back to a community that has helped you and trying to help a community stay the same great place that helped you out in the past...

Corporate or private boards operate with the money brought in by sponsors, walking on your sponsors it like kicking your boss in the nuts the day before you annual review -eek- Just does not work well if you want to keep operating.
Just to clarify, the thread in question has nothing to do with sponsors.

I agree with your point on moderator motivation. But really, the board does not need $10K a month in sponsor money to stay afloat. I supported this forum and server out of my own pocket for years. I run ~10 forums now, and with zero sponsor money. It is not that expensive to run a forum.

I would suggest a forum like this can keep operating based on the donations and the people that paid for those lifetime memberships. Everything else is profit. Nothing wrong with making money... just pointing out that a profit motivation is the reason for certain draconian stances on non-paying vendors, not the idea that the forum needs it to stay alive. The forum generates what is almost passive income... in other words.. not a bad gig! :) AutoForums bought this place to make money, nothing wrong with that. But let's call it what it is.

back to the point, that was not the issue in regards to the thread that was archived.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I find it tragic when a forum actually hurts the population it is supposed to serve. Of course I see Forums as a way of building community vs a cash cow.

This isn't the first time this Forum has damaged the Lotus community, and it will not be the last I'm rather certain. A wise man once said "the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior".

Another solid quote is "Radix malorum est cupiditas" which is Latin for "greed is the root of all evil".

1 - 20 of 32 Posts