The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.com.com/Car+computer+hobbyists+hack+XM+Radio/2100-1027_3-5410250.html?tag=nefd.top

A friend of mine who is working on making the first off-the-shelf carputer "hacked" XM by creating a cable and SDK that will allow PCs to plug in to XM again (if you recall, XM took their product off the market when people started using it to rip CD-quality music).

Interesting news for audio-philes and tech-heads like me. :D I don't plan on putting a carputer in the liz, but I've already got plans to install one in my VX.

PS - my friend's site is www.hybrid-mobile.com/newhybrid.htm

(I know it's ugly... I'm working on something better for him)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Oh they haven't really hacked the radio, they've just modified the connection to it.

I have an XM-PCR unit that does exactly this right out of the box..

Wake me up when someone actually hacks the subscription model and lets you clone XM radio IDs (One subscription for the whole family!) :)

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ground Loop, XM-PCR doesn't exist anymore. I thought the article made that clear:
Some [people] had used XM Radio's PCR hardware to plug into their onboard computers. When that hardware disappeared, engineers at Hybrid Mobile took apart the remaining XM Radio receivers, figured out how they worked, and created a new piece of software and a cable that could support the XM technology, aimed at plugging it all back into a PC.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Yeah, they yanked the XM-PCR off the market when the whole TimeTrax ruckus started. I should probably put mine on eBay and cash in. :) They were going for about $25-$50 before they were discontinued. Now $300 and up on eBay. Crazy..

I've taken apart a few XM Radios and the new (3rd?) generation ones are really all the exact same radio inside.. it's just a steel can from XM that does all the decoding work, and it's controlled by i2c bus from whatever you like. One common sealed module. My Sony PNP radio is altogether different -- much more accessible.

XMPCR just has a USB->FTDI Serial ->i2c -> module adapter in it. The 'hack' units do the protocol conversion to keep the idea alive.

In the end, it's all the same can with all the same guts inside. If XM is offended, they're going to have a hard time killing this approach without recalling every single receiver product.

They only have to make a small effort to show the RIAA they care, though. They really don't, since the whole thing just lets people make crappy analog recordings of service they pay for.

Anyone saying it's "pure digital" is just full of it. Unless you go and add the TOSLINK output to the receiver (as many have), you still have to resample, and then reencode the audio.

I'm waiting for someone to figure out how to download the ENTIRE bitstream. That stream contains the compressed audio and program information for the entire XM lineup. Record that to hard disk, and you can replay it in full original fidelity any time you like, and select any channel to boot. It will happen eventually.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts