The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been looking for a phone holder for the Evora. I'm not impressed at the size and ugliness of what is on the market. Then today it hit me....Use the rear view mirror. I only use about 40% of it to look backward anyway. Then, how to mount? Thought of a thick rubber band but that wasn't optimum. Then I remembered the 3M product that I use in my office to hold charts on the wall (yes, I'm portfolio manager, aka chart/metrics guy). This stuff is velco-like and are easily removable without any adhesive mess after. They hold very well.

The adjustment of the mirror is great and position is perfect.

So far so good. Now to begin playing with video ;-)

I also have a bluetooth OBD2 coming in the mail so will get Torque up and running.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First Vid

Just a pop out at lunch to test the setup. Looks like I could adjust down slightly but it worked pretty well. Held on solidly with minimal bounce. A little glare and I need the window open more for sound. Nice abandoned boat along the road here in beautiful Tukwila WA ;-)

Monster Road - Lotus Evora - YouTube

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Must be that stock sport muffler that makes it sound faster than reality.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Hmm. I thought the passenger seat was the phone holder. Plus, i have my phone connected to the bluetooth in the car, which works really well, so I rarely need to retrieve it anyway.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Personally, I prefer not losing half of my rear view, and have those silly 3M stickies the back of my phone. But hey, if it works for OP, good for him :)

If you want a great solution, I recommend the iOttie Universal One-Touch car mount, which I have. I have a Galaxy Note 3, which is a huge phone, yet with this phone mount I am able to mount it horizontally just left of the display in a rather discrete position--it is below the belt line yet gives me a perfect front view recording of my adventures, while leaving my own view completely unobstructed.

The suction cup adheres by suction and adhesion (it's very sticky, but can be taken off with no residue). And the mount itself is quite strong (and short), thus there is very little vibration compared to other mounts. And the way I have it mounted I'm able to adjust my phone so that it rests against the dash 'hump' as well, which keeps the phone completely vibration free.

I have not found a better solution for this car and my phone. It's such a great setup.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool. I'll have to check it out. This was for a once in a while mount that I could take on and off quick and easy. I just put the stickies back in their little pack in the glovebox.
Normally I don't want that loss of mirror either.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally here is a pic of the phone mounted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Really not nice. :(

·
Registered
394 Posts
What are we trying to achieve here?:scratchhead:

I keep my phone in the glove compartment, works with Bluetooth & connects to Alpine Stereo. Sure I can't text or take pictures or Videos... but I'm driving!

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
This mount has worked great for me. About $12 on Amazon. Just clips on to the center divider.

Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive exterior

Vehicle Car Center console Gear shift Steering wheel

Vehicle Car Center console Steering wheel Gauge

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Gots to get me one of those, and I am not talking about the hairy knee.

·
Registered
505 Posts
if its onboard video you want buy something thats made for it like a blackvue :facepalm
by removing half of your rear vision mirror,i think youre going to be needing onboard video (for the other driver you hit)

·
Illegal Alien
5,346 Posts
if its onboard video you want buy something thats made for it like a blackvue :facepalm
by removing half of your rear vision mirror,i think youre going to be needing onboard video (for the other driver you hit)
You can block more than half the Evora review mirror and still see the "full" rear view, or what postage stamp size view that you get.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Gots to get me one of those, and I am not talking about the hairy knee.
Linky:
The hairy knee is free :D

Amazon.com: BESTEK Cell Phone Clip Holder Stand with Sitck-on Mount + Gooseneck One Clip Clamp mount on car,desk,windshield,dashboard,table for iphone 5,4s,3gs,ipod,gps,PDA,samsung galaxy,HTC, nokia,lg,blackberry holder ect. BTIH750: Cell Phones & Ac

So far the mount is very stable. The trick is to bend it in a way that it runs along the floor board a bit, that way you get no bounce. The clamp is very tight and does not move at all once in place.
I use it to connect my Bluetooth OBDII tool to my phone which will in turn send the info to my Pioneer head unit.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My intent for this quick attach is just for occasional quick video. It is not for long term. I'm too tempted to monkey with it while driving. It normally lives in the passenger door pocket.

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Bluetooth OBDII tool to my phone which will in turn send the info to my Pioneer head unit."

Is that the torque app?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts