The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already posted this in the Midwest section... but hardly anyone but us midwest guys go there, so I figured I'd post it here too.

We went on a 500 mile drive out in the boonies on Saturday. It was really fun but the animals and critters were insane! I was driving right behind the leader of the pack and I watched 2 birds bounce off his windshield, Kim(cashxdr) almost railed a golden retriever as it crossed the road to chase a bicyclist, and somehow my Elise swallowed a bird and it got lodged way into the back of my radiator! Luckily, I was too lazy to install my center mesh grille piece friday night. :coolnana:

As expected, we drove through clouds of bugs too.

·
Registered
292 Posts
No birds yet.

Think I'm a little ahead on the bugs, here it is with the bugs removed and on the ground. I thought I was lucky I had the grille in as I could stop every 20 miles and remove them as it started getting hot

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
No birds yet.

Think I'm a little ahead on the bugs, here it is with the bugs removed and on the ground. I thought I was lucky I had the grille in as I could stop every 20 miles and remove them as it started getting hot

OMG.... That's unbelievable. This was during the day too? :huh:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Woah. Must have been crazy bug mating season?!

First one was similar to mine after an interstate trip. I was still claying marks out months later, and that was WITH a starshield, too!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I was with Pooter and had similar bug carnage.

I just took $4 in quarters and a microfiber wash mitt to a 'self wash' place. yeah yeah, I know, you aren't supposed to use pressure water but it was on the star shield, not the paint.

Worked like a charm and saved me a lot of effort.

Pooter and I both have Jeeps (his more hardcore than mine). I can't imagine what our Jeeps would look like. Due the the fact that Jeeps have zero aerodynamics, if I drive one mile to get Starbucks, its looks like Aussie Exige! I've gone through 2 sets of blades in a year!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Playing around on The Chive this morning and here's one of the photos. Holy crap:

·
Registered
605 Posts
More bugs downunder

And we also have car cleaning seagulls.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
2 years ago I was driving along the river at night and hit the mayflies mating season. 3 solid miles of bugs with the top off!!!! Me and my friend were ducking and trying to hid.

I still am pulling them out here and there

·
Registered
480 Posts
That really sucks for you guys over there. How can you live... well especially your loti live their lives out there?

·
Registered
389 Posts
the gas station pics: :eek: I would rather run out of gas than brave THAT gauntlet.

Also, I should point out that if you keep your car under 30 mph, you won't get that coating of bugs. ;) just sayin'... :p

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Under 30? That's like saying 'yeah, you're girlfriend is really hot, but don't touch her' :)

Not sure if that's Darrin or Kim on the cashdxr handle, but on our drive we also encountered blowing sand from roads. If you did the 'hold your hand out the window to feel the air' thing it literally felt like your hand was being soda blasted.

I washed out and entire beach out of my hair after the drive.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,557 Posts
Damn ! Do I have to be a paying member to request a thread to be removed ?

This messes with my head on so many core levels. That is a lot of dead bugs ! and the cars with mouths looking like they are foaming with bugguts. Jesus !

I mean I have to get a (single )bug's guts off my paint at first possible moment or my mind is bothered ! Probablly spot wax too... I need to talk to my therapist about this post.

Buguts arelike acid to a cars paint! sandstorms ?
lions and tigers and bears oh my... I don't want to know . I don't want my car to know these horrors exist ! We have lived sheltered lives.

Having been in India last 2 weeks kinda brings that awareness to the forefront of ones mind.:crazyeyes

·
Registered
471 Posts
BIBLICAL!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts