The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're starting to develop ideas for finishing the lower level of our new house. we've decided on putting in a bar and making it a "social" room, or whatever you want to call it. We have all the raw plumbing and everything already in place. The room isn't very big, nice and cozy and would have enough room for a 12-16 s.f. bar (18"-24" in width), in a curvy shape, with a nice sink behind, glass shelves, etc. in the corner. we were originally thinking granite, which would run about $20-30/s.f., but really like the look of some of the "lighted" bars you see at night clubs, restaurants, etc. Did some minor research online with not much success for specifications and suppliers.

I did come across some phenominal looking glass bars/countertops, which i think would look amazing "lighted". The glass ones i've found are around $200-300/sf, which i don't mind paying if they look as amazing as the photos.

here's a link i found
Kitchen

What are some of the different things you guys have done, where should i be looking, and who should i be calling? I have no idea how the bars are "lit" underneath, how they're constructed, or what other materials can be used (i.e. a lot of night club bars appear to be a granite-like plastic material)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I think a lot will depend on the style of your house. The glass looks pretty contemparary. In college we made a bar with a fish tank in the middle. It made for some interesting conversation.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Tiki bar.....only way to go.....great bars, supplies and accessories.

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
I did a relatively small area in my finished lower-level (basement) as well, and what I think is key, is stylistically separating it from the rest of the space somehow. What I did, was remove the burbur (sp?) carpet from the area, and went with an outdoor patio kinda slate (although not slate - terra-cotta maybe - my GF really does all this stuff, not me!) flooring tile for the floor of the section with the bar. Then, for the ceiling (which is drywalled and NOT "drop" in my basement - which IMHO is also KEY) above it, went with a faux tin-ceiling tile. All things you can do really easily, inexpensively, and YOURSELF.

Separates, while at the same time, still "flowing" with the pool table, and the rest of the "recreation" area that is otherwise pretty typical.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Brass pole. You definitely need to put in a brass pole and maybe an indoor jacuzzi right next to the bar :panic:

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think a lot will depend on the style of your house. The glass looks pretty contemparary. In college we made a bar with a fish tank in the middle. It made for some interesting conversation.
our house is ultra sleek and contemporary. If you'd actually show up on July 12 you could see for yourself -poke-:D

My uncle said it best: "This place is like a damn studio" lol.

We're in the process of painting and "ikea-ing" out the whole place. I'll get some pics up soon here and in my previous "my new crib" thread.

I'll also get up a primitive floor plan i drew up so you can get an idea of scale.

Some other ideas i'm going with so far:

Industrial - style ceiling w/ accents
recessed lighting; pending lighting above bar
glass microfridge, undermount sink, small cabinet space
glass shelving behind bar, with a translucent tile behind that as a "backsplash"

·
Registered
417 Posts
:shrug:

I can't help you with building a bar in your basement.......however I do believe that when it comes to doing the accessories........:rolleyes:

Let's see now.............Oh.....yeah, on the wall this is: "a you must have item"............it will keep you and your friends safe from any harm then they start to get a buzz on....................

On the wall you should have a sign that clearly states...................
in big red lettering (like this);

PLEASE DO NOT ASK OUR 10-12 YEAR OLDS OUT TO SEE YOUR CAR........

And during your 1st open house (bar) keep an eye out on dasmoofler.......you just may never know what he's up too !

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f68/i-feel-like-friiggin-pervert-58232/ :D

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I'm a big fan of modern design, too. I'd consider looking for a vintage late 50s/early60s bar. Most will coordinate well with modern. For the money you're talking about to build a new one, you could choose among the best out there. If you don't want to do the legwork, have an interior designer find it. Put some glass shelving and a row of low storage cabinets on the wall behind, and you're done in a week.

Whatever you do, please post a few pics.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
our house is ultra sleek and contemporary. If you'd actually show up on July 12 you could see for yourself -poke-:D
Does that mean we are actually allowed to come over and drink? You know me, I don't kid when it comes to drinking. If there's any chance it's done, I'll even bring the Patron to help brake the bar in! :coolnana:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Duh! July 12th is that CT drive from the top to the bottom. I don't know what to do! Drinking or driving? :panic:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
I'll BE There !! ( now noone will come !! ) :eek:rotfl

·
Registered
247 Posts
Dude, there is only one really vital ingredient to a great bar: a kegorator. Single best investment I made in my life. I've had it for 12 years and I have probably saved thousands of dollars buying beer by the barrel instead of by the bottle. I just polished off a keg of Pyramid Hefeweizen and going back to Newcastle Nut Brown Ale next. Best of all, kegs now come in several different sizes (1/2 barrel, 1/4 barrel and 1/6 barrel), so you don't have to buy the big mothers. I personally buy mostly 1/6 barrel sizes now and run through them in a month or so. Plus, they are a lot easier to carry now that I am approaching 40 years old!

Of course, if you don't drink beer, ignore all this.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
E N V E L - D E S I G N these guys have done a lot of the modern bars here in los angeles and las vegas. kind of pricey but at least worth talking to, or checking out some of their stuff. the daughter of the owner is a co-worker of mine (shes actually my assistant)

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
What are some of the different things you guys have done, where should i be looking, and who should i be calling? I have no idea how the bars are "lit" underneath, how they're constructed, or what other materials can be used (i.e. a lot of night club bars appear to be a granite-like plastic material)
The glass looking ones are Lexon. A tough plastic. Easily lit from below with flourescent lighting. I'm building one at my new restaurant. Any plastic supply place should have it or order it for you. I think you'll have a lot of fun with it. They do look nice.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does that mean we are actually allowed to come over and drink? You know me, I don't kid when it comes to drinking. If there's any chance it's done, I'll even bring the Patron to help brake the bar in! :coolnana:
more than welcome to come over and drink. You're just not allowed to open any guiness in the vicintity of my elise -poke-:D

great advice guys, please keep it coming. I'm installing a contemporary crown molding today i'll post some pics when is done.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts