The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The architect we've been talking to finally got around to talking about numbers to build a house on the land we already own. I just got this from him and I want to bounce it off folks here to get your impression.

My wife and I intend to build two houses on our lot. We plan to start with a 'guest house' of 850 sq ft with a two car garage. We will move into this house and then tear down our existing house to build my 4/5 car garage with attached house (my wife thinks it's a house with a garage). Once we have finished the main house, we will probably turn the guest house into a rental.

We both like modern houses and will be building both guest and main house in this style. Think steel frame construction with lots of glass, hardwood and/or polished concrete floors, etc. This is in Austin, TX. If you happen to know QUALITY builders in Austin that you would recommend, let me know and I'll tell them you referred me.

In terms of fees, it can certainly vary widely with exactly what you are looking for from your architect or designer. Broad look for a "full service" job:

Architectural Design - 12% of construction cost (separate for guest house / main house if desired)
Probably includes all preliminary investigation, design drawings and meetings, construction documents, structural engineer's drawings (cost here depends on complexity, this component required for foundation at minimum in Austin), permitting process, some help in selecting a contractor (reviewing bids, etc.), full permitting process including necessary meetings with city, weekly site visits and continued attention to contractor questions in construction to make sure things are going as planned. Would not include cost of printing (minimal, probably $500 for this job), cost of travel and long distance calls (probably none for this job), cost of permit itself (see below), or any other consultants you may wish to hire (landscape designer for more elaborate landscape design, mechanical / plumbing / electrical engineers for more complicated green systems, etc. (certainly not required but may be desired on case by case basis).

Permits - City of Austin - +/- $1000 for each job (guest house / main house), could be less.
Construction itself - $120sf would be a bare minimum design, I don't think you are considering this. Guest house might be $150-$200/sf, while $250-$300/sf would seem appropriate for the level of finishes we've discussed on the main house, nicely organized and a good quality level but not gold plated. You could easily spend $500/sf or more if you were looking for premium materials or complicated detailing... ie, some of the books you've shown me are certainly in this range... but there are certainly ways to be quite elegant without using honed stone, zinc metal panels, etc. Settling on this number of course works backwards from how much you wish to spend / area desired to build. If that cost/sf number is too small for quality, then one of those 3 items has to give. These are extremely rough estimates given here. I would suggest once drawings start, that you shop early drawings to contractors to see what ballpark we are in and revise up or down from there. For a project of this level, you will likely find some good builders willing to give you a good estimate for free in hopes of taking on the job.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should say that each house is not really going to be that big AND that I want to keep my Lotus.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Just letting you know that there is indeed an architect. I would never even suggest that someone get rid of their Lotus... especially for something as trivial as a home.;)

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
The architect we've been talking to finally got around to talking about numbers to build a house on the land we already own. I just got this from him and I want to bounce it off folks here to get your impression.

My wife and I intend to build two houses on our lot. We plan to start with a 'guest house' of 850 sq ft with a two car garage. We will move into this house and then tear down our existing house to build my 4/5 car garage with attached house (my wife thinks it's a house with a garage). Once we have finished the main house, we will probably turn the guest house into a rental.

We both like modern houses and will be building both guest and main house in this style. Think steel frame construction with lots of glass, hardwood and/or polished concrete floors, etc. This is in Austin, TX. If you happen to know QUALITY builders in Austin that you would recommend, let me know and I'll tell them you referred me.
your best bet is to talk to a couple of other architects in the area that are recommended.
an architect from a different market cannot give u much advice as to cost, zoning requirements, etc who is from another market.
theyre all different, costs are different, etc....
i know we all like to get advice from the board, but in this case, talk to architects familiar with YOUR market.
(i didnt look at your link, but those sqft prices are high....the architect alluded to expensive materials....of that i have no doubt. building materials dont always reflect architect fees, meaning its not always a direct correlation between const costs vs architect fees.)

shop it around in your area. use recommended architects, theres a lot of bad ones.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
You might try giving Steve Morey a call:

http://www.stevemorey.com

Steve is an old acquaintance from my motorcycle tracking days (and also an MSR member and ex-CMRA racer). I've pretty much lost touch with him as we mostly communicated through mutual friends and he's stopped racing/tracking, but feel free to drop my name.

He's not in Austin, but I bet he knows someone down your way.

btw - I've been to Steve's house and predictably, it's gorgeous.
:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts