The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have kicked off a partnership with Mountune USA to supply full long blocks of the 2ZZGE engines for our S2 Lotus variants. I've worked with [email protected] when he was with Cosworth. Ken is a serious Lotus fan and a truly passionate partner in this effort. Mountune USA have full machining and engine dyno capability. This will allow us to confirm each engine we build - this is especially important for those of you who don't live locally. You will have the confidence that the engine has been run and broken-in properly. Mountune are staffed with very experienced engine builders (formerly Cosworth) that have built F1, Indy and other engines for high level race series. We will be offering some of the best built 2ZZGE available.

We will continue to develop major components for the 111 platform. Each year we will identify 2-3 major components that are needed. Expect more detailed info later this year...I'm committed to keep these cars running! :smile2:

They just completed a TwinCam engine for a Europa that we are restoring. See below...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Will this be preconfigured packages or can we get custom long blocks built (cam, porting, unneeded coolant ports welded closed, etc.)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Supporting Vendor
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great news, Shinoo.....there's definitely a need for this service/product.

Any idea of cost?
We are building an engine now and will prepares costs. Once we have the details sorted we will announce prices and options.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will this be preconfigured packages or can we get custom long blocks built (cam, porting, unneeded coolant ports welded closed, etc.)
Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yes, Mountune can build mild to wild. You know the old saying, "Speed costs money how fast do you want to go?"

We will have a couple of standard engine builds that we plan to stock but the custom solutions will be built to order.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is great news!!! Would love to see what the ballpark cost is going to be for a basic engine package.

I'll be following this thread for sure.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Progress pix as more detailed work continues. Here they are scanning the block to make a deck plate and machining for liners.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
So why the liners? those oversized at all?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Liners are because the 2ZZ-GE block is MMC for weight savings, so an overbore of the stock cylinder isn't really an option. The 1ZZ block has iron liners. The 2ZZ, like a lot of silica lined bore engines (Vega, anyone?), has the reputation of being an oil burner. I suspect we Lotus people don't see as much of it because Lotus didn't adopt the engine until late in its production run when Toyota had presumably ironed out all the bugs, in the way that Toyota always does.

@shinoo - what bore diameters are you planning on offering? For that matter, what do the liners weigh?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@shinoo - what bore diameters are you planning on offering? For that matter, what do the liners weigh?
I'm not sure what they weigh so let me ask. All other details will come out when we are ready. The engine is not yet complete as we are still waiting for the deck plate...

·
Supporting Vendor
4,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stage 1 head with CNC valve seat job. Slow but sure, we are getting her together.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts