The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tightened their bulkhead mounts?

Bulkhead Mounting Plate Modification

I'm sure its a case-by-case difference; just wondering how many people have done this and how much difference it made

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yes, have done it on several Esprits. If you have creaking/squeaking coming from behind the seat then it works great.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yes, definitely work looking into! Have done it also on my Esprit and 2 V8's local to me. Are you having some loud clunking behind the drivers compartment?
Artie

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
When I hit a big bump; yes, I do.

Looks like an easy operation which I'll do as soon as my Protechs and poly bushes are done. Should feel nice and tight after these items.

Tks for feedback

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like your car's names. What do you call your 300z?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Lol, hadn't really named her! Not sure why, or why not.....Phat ass maybe! Lol. She's a pig!

·
Registered
671 Posts
A noteworthy tip on the bulkhead tightening procedure. If the bolt is long enough into the engine compartment through the bulkhead as mine was, I jam nutted them tight to prevent them from loosening again, also, I don't know if your V8 has an access hole in the carpet, but I had my upholstry guy make nice access holes in my carpets when he redid them in black a few years ago so I could access them easily if needed.
Artie

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
It's not so much that the nuts come loose but that the plywood bulkhead compresses over time which is why you need to cut some length off the bracket tubes but a jamb nut can't hurt...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Mine didn't either Travis, just a bolt and the nut on the engine compartment side. Not even a load spreading plate.. I added a 1/8" thick "shim" that I cut grooves in to slide behind the bolt head to help spread the torque out better against the plywood bulkhead laminate.

·
Registered
671 Posts
This will also be one of my winter projects. Looks like it would be a semi easy job with 2 people. Time to get my wife involved!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
J!
NOOOOOO! Your last place of solitude and sanctuary! Once they venture out to the garage, you may never regain your "man cave"! NO NO NO!!!:panic:
You can do this by yourself!!! Promise, I did!
Artie

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Easy way to find mounting bolts under carpet

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1355689129.323822.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoguide1355689185.580927.jpg

Couple of strong magnets

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Clever!

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cut your flap 1.5" above and below the bolt location; there are six retaining screws to remove... Assuming you have the reinforcement plate; heard older models do not have the plate, just the bolts and tubes.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finished this project and gave it a test ride. I'm impressed with the change. It feels very refined now; a definite incremental improvement. With the new Michelin PS2's, poly bushes, new springs, Protech dampers and now this mod it drives as new, very tight; Although I must say its a bit squirrelly when braking and tends to have problems staying centered.

One odd thing I have noticed (before this mod); when pulling away from a curb, turning sharply left, or turning sharply left and pulling into a parking space, it feels like something is binding, kind of like when my Tundra is in 4 wheel drive; wants to wheel hop. I'm guessing I need an alignment (toe in/out is out of wack).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi All-

I finally got some time in the garage. I attempted the bulkhead fix and I was able to do it on the passenger side but the driver side is another story.

Any tips on how you accessed the bolts in the engine compartment on the drivers side?

Thanks.
Jason

1 - 20 of 23 Posts