The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The lower part of my front clam had a couple of scrapes on it. One side was bad enough to see when standing in front of the car - the Starshield was hanging a bit loose and bits of fiberglass were stuck to it.

I took it to 3 body shops a couple of weeks ago. The results were the same each time:

"We've never done one of these cars. This whole section (front clam) will have to come off. It will take at least 6 hours to do that, then build the fiberglass, paint, then put it back on."

I never waited for a quote. I assumed it would be at least $1000.

Bumper Scuffs plus said they could do it with drop off in the morning and finish by 6, for $300.

The work is quite flawless. Mine was their first Lotus, and it took them a bit longer than they anticipated. I picked it up today and it looks great. The Starshield at the one section is gone, of course.

FWIW, my car is Ardent Red. I assume other colors may cost more.

Bumper Scuff plus - Bumper Repair Plus

Attached are photos of the finished work. Wish I had photos of before so you could see the improvement. Just know that you could see white fiberglass stuck to the Starshield and a bunch of cracksgoing up about an inch along the side elements. No work was done on the license plate "mount".

Attachments

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My wife took the camera out of town with her, otherwise, I'd post after pics. It does look really good, though, I promise.

I am not affiliated with Bumper Scuffs plus. Just a happy customer.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
The lower part of my front clam had a couple of scrapes on it. One side was bad enough to see when standing in front of the car - the Starshield was hanging a bit loose and bits of fiberglass were stuck to it.

I took it to 3 body shops a couple of weeks ago. The results were the same each time:

"We've never done one of these cars. This whole section (front clam) will have to come off. It will take at least 6 hours to do that, then build the fiberglass, paint, then put it back on."

I never waited for a quote. I assumed it would be at least $1000.

Bumper Scuffs plus said they could do it with drop off in the morning and finish by 6, for $300.

The work is quite flawless. Mine was their first Lotus, and it took them a bit longer than they anticipated. I picked it up today and it looks great. The Starshield at the one section is gone, of course.

FWIW, my car is Ardent Red. I assume other colors may cost more.

Bumper Scuff plus - Bumper Repair Plus
Ardent Red is a mono color which makes it possible to blend more easily than most. Saffron Yellow is the same. Start adding metallics like any of the silvers, blues and greens and it gets more difficult. Turn it into Solar Yellow, CO, KG, Aspen White, ... by making it a pearl and don't waste your time trying to blend. Plan on painting at least up to the seam with any pearl and usually the whole clam to get it to match. Rock chips are much easier to fix on mono colors too. :) The cost for materials on the pearls is really high compared to most of the other colors too, up to ten times the cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts