The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Burned out 2005 lotus Elise

5K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  ML1media 
#1 ·
So I am new to the forum, and new to the world of Lotus. I just purchased a 2005 Lotus Elise the was destroyed in a garage fire. My original thought was to try to strip the frame and cage the vehicle and start rebuilding using used Toyota parts. Upon picking the car up, I no longer think that’s a viable option. What parts are worth saving? I assume the brake calipers can be rebuilt. Car also has an aftermarket supercharger. Also a titanium catback from Arqray. Any thought would be much appreciated.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Car Engine

See less See more
#2 ·
Toast. In my opinion nothing worth saving. Sorry to say.

I have to ask why you thought any of this was salvageable? This is a glued together chassis where heat is devastating to the integrity of chassis. Not to mention what high heat does to any type of rubber seals.

#3 ·
Toast. In my opinion nothing worth saving. Sorry to say.
It might be a candidate for a small (very small) artificial reef. I'm also sorry to be so pessimistic, but I think anything left would lack any structural integrity. I certainly wouldn't trust anything left.

San

#9 ·
Wow, what a shame... Interesting that the ad is still active.

#15 ·
I would be really worried about the integrity of the whole chassis including the glued joints. In my mind it’s a waste of time and $$$$. ?

#18 ·
Not only is the aluminum heat treating destroyed by such a hot fire, but the epoxy holding the tub together is as well. On top of that, the ferrous metals have lost their hardening and tempering as well in such a hot fire. I would not trust a structural component of that vehicle without testing after exposure to such a hot fire.

#20 ·
I'll go against grain and say, just from pic, yes, there ARE salvagable items there. Valuable?--can't say. The roll hoop looks to be intact. The A-arms, perhaps. the calipers( as noted). Internal engine parts--I'd bet for sure....but again, worth your time adn effort for the $$$ they might bring ---dont know. The alum frame pieces also might have some value if re-purposed --the alum would clean up and offers some unusual patterns ---possible use in the art+design+fabrication world. There are places in this world that would clean that like a school of piranha---just because there's no value as a reconstituted Lotus, doesnt mean there isnt value.

#24 ·
Agreed...if I recall, there are shims that are worth around $10 each. I remember searching for a bolt once and having to buy a bag of them to get one...

I'd say, treat it like a side project. Tell people where the parts are coming from...and don't reuse anything that might result in catastrophic results. No high stress parts. But I'm with ML1media as long as you take your time and clean up only the parts that don't involve any risk AT ALL.

How did the passenger footrest make out?

#22 ·
High heat has a significant impact on metal integrity. I would never use a metal part from a car that burned to the ground.

#23 ·
So first exploration on the car has not been promising. While the exhaust itself is intact, whatever baffle material was used did not survive. Enjoy the automotive archeology.

Attachments

#26 ·
You know, I saw an episode of Pawn Stars where they bought a shitty car by accident thinking they could make money. But they took it to count's customs and found out it needed more money to repair that it was worth so he turned it into a pool table and they made like $8k. What about cleaning it up, Bolting on some body panels, wheels/tires and making it something like that? Or a kick ass couch for your garage....or a BBQ? Could be fun. Think outside the box! I'm sure you can youtube that episode for the basic idea. I'll mail you a 6-pack if you start that project ^_^

#28 ·
Must have been a very hot fire! Look at the rear wheels, or lack there of. The center of the alloy wheels and a few spokes are there but the rest melted!

#30 · (Edited)
Unless you have a lot of time on your hands, I'm not sure that there's $300 of value left in it. I would love to know what you do end up finding of value on the car and what you get for it.

"Galvanized steel is suitable for high-temperature applications of up to 200 °C (392 °F). The use of galvanized steel at temperatures above this will result in peeling of the zinc at the inter metallic layer."

Is it peeling? It looks OK in the video.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.