The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new to the forum, and new to the world of Lotus. I just purchased a 2005 Lotus Elise the was destroyed in a garage fire. My original thought was to try to strip the frame and cage the vehicle and start rebuilding using used Toyota parts. Upon picking the car up, I no longer think that’s a viable option. What parts are worth saving? I assume the brake calipers can be rebuilt. Car also has an aftermarket supercharger. Also a titanium catback from Arqray. Any thought would be much appreciated.

1574033879767.jpeg

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Toast. In my opinion nothing worth saving. Sorry to say.

I have to ask why you thought any of this was salvageable? This is a glued together chassis where heat is devastating to the integrity of chassis. Not to mention what high heat does to any type of rubber seals.

·
Acme Super Moderator The Enforcer
6,644 Posts
Toast. In my opinion nothing worth saving. Sorry to say.
It might be a candidate for a small (very small) artificial reef. I'm also sorry to be so pessimistic, but I think anything left would lack any structural integrity. I certainly wouldn't trust anything left.

San

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So yes, all the bushings are gone, there is the remnant of a serpentine belt. I had no expectations when I bought it on a whim (also I’m in it for $303) and it was a fun risk. Better luck next time I guess😀

·
Registered
626 Posts
i guess since some of the aluminum melted, but the steel did not that the fire temp was between 660-1400 C. thus, i would guess the titanium cat-back metal is fine (apart from a uncontrolled heat treatment). i wonder if it would polish up?

are those a fiberglass filled part? if so, I guess it would probably not survive super high temperature.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wondering about that. The piping in between the two canisters is wrapped in heat wrap which is still in tact.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not pulled the engine yet, but I will keep you posted. Also her is an ad I found that matches my vin. It also matches up with the supercharger and the aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Wow, what a shame... Interesting that the ad is still active.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought so too, I have to assume Copart is correct on the vin. I assume these cars have a door tag. If that’s the case, I assume it would have fallen outside of the frame when the bodywork melted.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Wow, what fun pictures you've posted. It doesn't look like anything is good. But maybe you can trailer it to a cars and coffee event for some fun.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I would be really worried about the integrity of the whole chassis including the glued joints. In my mind it’s a waste of time and $$$$. 😁

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I would be really worried about the integrity of the whole chassis including the glued joints. In my mind it’s a waste of time and $$$$. 😁
Not only is the aluminum heat treating destroyed by such a hot fire, but the epoxy holding the tub together is as well. On top of that, the ferrous metals have lost their hardening and tempering as well in such a hot fire. I would not trust a structural component of that vehicle without testing after exposure to such a hot fire.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'll go against grain and say, just from pic, yes, there ARE salvagable items there. Valuable?--can't say. The roll hoop looks to be intact. The A-arms, perhaps. the calipers( as noted). Internal engine parts--I'd bet for sure....but again, worth your time adn effort for the $$$ they might bring ---dont know. The alum frame pieces also might have some value if re-purposed --the alum would clean up and offers some unusual patterns ---possible use in the art+design+fabrication world. There are places in this world that would clean that like a school of piranha---just because there's no value as a reconstituted Lotus, doesnt mean there isnt value.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts