The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Burned out 2005 lotus Elise

5K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  ML1media 
#1 ·
So I am new to the forum, and new to the world of Lotus. I just purchased a 2005 Lotus Elise the was destroyed in a garage fire. My original thought was to try to strip the frame and cage the vehicle and start rebuilding using used Toyota parts. Upon picking the car up, I no longer think that’s a viable option. What parts are worth saving? I assume the brake calipers can be rebuilt. Car also has an aftermarket supercharger. Also a titanium catback from Arqray. Any thought would be much appreciated.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Car Engine

See less See more
#31 ·
I do plan to write up a breakdown of what metals I salvage, how much time it takes etc. unless of course I decide to cut away the aluminum structural components , replace them with a tube frame, LS swap the motor and go embarrass Ferrari’s at Daytona. I will keep you posted.

#32 ·
So far, as noted above, My favorite idea would be more or less to strip to the chassis..(maybe more bits could stay on...) But put a large glass top on it and have the most unique meeting or dining table ever!!!

Reactions: oranjeboven
#34 ·
I wouldnt trust anything structural out of there. I was wondering if the titanium exhaust would live through it, but the pics of it look like the answer is no. Trying to clean up non-structural bolts just sounds like a waste of time and money. I would make stuff out of the okay metal like the rollover hoop, but only for shop brackets or tools, etc. I like the idea of a table, couch, etc. Id almost rather see it in a table or something where the shape is still there for admiration than it cut up to little pieces then repurposed

#35 ·
So every time I read a post I keep coming back to the brake calipers. I understand why the aluminum in particular is compromised, and I wouldn’t trust my life to control arms that lived through that sort of heat. If I can remove the pistons from the calipers, is there any reason not to rebuild them? Especially considering asking prices are near $200 per caliper.

#36 ·
Started sifting through more of the rubble today. I found a torched fire extinguisher still safely stowed in its bracket just in front of passengers seat. Also dug out the passenger foot rest since that was a question from a previous post. The more I dig into this car, the more it amazes me. How all the frame components interlock with one another is fascinating. I would love to see the order in which they go together at the factory.

Attachments

#37 ·
Reminds me --- trend in restaurants (recently?) --converting old-school gas stations into bar-restaurants and decorating with a real USED car parts and stn eq theme ---everything from suspensions to turbocharger units--even part of a Hydr lift --on walls, ceilings, parts of furniture,---very unique look, blending bldng history with a new/dif line of business. (none of it cleaned up or artificially bling-ed--just real (used?) parts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.