The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
High heat has a significant impact on metal integrity. I would never use a metal part from a car that burned to the ground.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So first exploration on the car has not been promising. While the exhaust itself is intact, whatever baffle material was used did not survive. Enjoy the automotive archeology.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'll go against grain and say, just from pic, yes, there ARE salvagable items there. Valuable?--can't say. The roll hoop looks to be intact. The A-arms, perhaps. the calipers( as noted). Internal engine parts--I'd bet for sure....but again, worth your time adn effort for the $$$ they might bring ---dont know. The alum frame pieces also might have some value if re-purposed --the alum would clean up and offers some unusual patterns ---possible use in the art+design+fabrication world. There are places in this world that would clean that like a school of piranha---just because there's no value as a reconstituted Lotus, doesnt mean there isnt value.
Agreed...if I recall, there are shims that are worth around $10 each. I remember searching for a bolt once and having to buy a bag of them to get one...

I'd say, treat it like a side project. Tell people where the parts are coming from...and don't reuse anything that might result in catastrophic results. No high stress parts. But I'm with ML1media as long as you take your time and clean up only the parts that don't involve any risk AT ALL.

How did the passenger footrest make out?

·
Registered
20 Posts
You know, I saw an episode of Pawn Stars where they bought a shitty car by accident thinking they could make money. But they took it to count's customs and found out it needed more money to repair that it was worth so he turned it into a pool table and they made like $8k. What about cleaning it up, Bolting on some body panels, wheels/tires and making it something like that? Or a kick ass couch for your garage....or a BBQ? Could be fun. Think outside the box! I'm sure you can youtube that episode for the basic idea. I'll mail you a 6-pack if you start that project ^_^

·
Registered
2 Posts
As I have been searching for a Lotus of my own I remember seeing these pictures (the unburnt car) on a ebay Ad a couple of months back.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Must have been a very hot fire! Look at the rear wheels, or lack there of. The center of the alloy wheels and a few spokes are there but the rest melted!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Unless you have a lot of time on your hands, I'm not sure that there's $300 of value left in it. I would love to know what you do end up finding of value on the car and what you get for it.

"Galvanized steel is suitable for high-temperature applications of up to 200 °C (392 °F). The use of galvanized steel at temperatures above this will result in peeling of the zinc at the inter metallic layer."

Is it peeling? It looks OK in the video.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I do plan to write up a breakdown of what metals I salvage, how much time it takes etc. unless of course I decide to cut away the aluminum structural components , replace them with a tube frame, LS swap the motor and go embarrass Ferrari’s at Daytona. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
105 Posts
So far, as noted above, My favorite idea would be more or less to strip to the chassis..(maybe more bits could stay on...) But put a large glass top on it and have the most unique meeting or dining table ever!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
So far, as noted above, My favorite idea would be more or less to strip to the chassis..(maybe more bits could stay on...) But put a large glass top on it and have the most unique meeting or dining table ever!!!
Conduct business in style. I like it ^_^

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wouldnt trust anything structural out of there. I was wondering if the titanium exhaust would live through it, but the pics of it look like the answer is no. Trying to clean up non-structural bolts just sounds like a waste of time and money. I would make stuff out of the okay metal like the rollover hoop, but only for shop brackets or tools, etc. I like the idea of a table, couch, etc. Id almost rather see it in a table or something where the shape is still there for admiration than it cut up to little pieces then repurposed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So every time I read a post I keep coming back to the brake calipers. I understand why the aluminum in particular is compromised, and I wouldn’t trust my life to control arms that lived through that sort of heat. If I can remove the pistons from the calipers, is there any reason not to rebuild them? Especially considering asking prices are near $200 per caliper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Started sifting through more of the rubble today. I found a torched fire extinguisher still safely stowed in its bracket just in front of passengers seat. Also dug out the passenger foot rest since that was a question from a previous post. The more I dig into this car, the more it amazes me. How all the frame components interlock with one another is fascinating. I would love to see the order in which they go together at the factory.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Reminds me --- trend in restaurants (recently?) --converting old-school gas stations into bar-restaurants and decorating with a real USED car parts and stn eq theme ---everything from suspensions to turbocharger units--even part of a Hydr lift --on walls, ceilings, parts of furniture,---very unique look, blending bldng history with a new/dif line of business. (none of it cleaned up or artificially bling-ed--just real (used?) parts

21 - 37 of 37 Posts