The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

I'm new here, and have searched on this topic. My first drive in my Exige S was yesterday and I am addicted to this car like nothing I have ever known before. I love it!

I purchased my car used, an 07 with 900 miles on the clock. When I drive, and after I park, I can smell what *almost* smells like burning oil smell. I imagine with the engine so young it could just be casting linings, etc burning off (I know all of my prev 4-cyl cars had odd smells for the first few thousand miles).

Is this type of heat/oil/burning off scent normal? I figure it could also be the s/c (this is my first forced induction car). There is no oil-low tell tale, but that always comes on way too late. With the diffuser in place there is no way to check for leaks. Since I purchased used I will be changing my oil soon anyway, just for peace of mind. So I can inspect for gasket leaks or something then... but I just want to get a read on other's experiences, especially those with an S car... how normal are motor smells?

Thx!

:)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Check around your oil filter. After the dealer changed my oil at 1,000 miles, they didn't bother cleaning up, so the filter was slimy with old oil. I wiped it down and it stayed clean. The o-rings around the oil cooler adapter have been known to leak too, but I thought Lotus had that fixed. Another place to look is at the front under your oil coolers.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would pull the diffuser and rear belly panel (you will need to do this to access the bottom of the engine anyway). Looking at the panel will let you know immediately if you are dripping oil from the filter or anywhere else on the engine or transaxle. These are the most likely places for leakage to occur. I agree that the filter is the probably culprit on a car this new.

Jerry

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx guys... I hadn't even considered that it could be the dealer's 1000 mile service left a mess and then the car was simply not driven. I'll probably get her on the lift this weekend and pull off the diffuser and panel, check things out and tidy up in there. May as well change the oil so I know it's been done. I'll also take a peek around the oil coolers, as suggested.

Thx again!

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
Most early '07 S/C cars had an oil leak at the dip stick/block mating area or at the blow-by return hose/gasket located on the engine block (just above and to the passenger side of the oil sandwich adapter). There were many posts about this -- try doing a search for more info.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Thx guys... I hadn't even considered that it could be the dealer's 1000 mile service left a mess and then the car was simply not driven...
anything is possible with service from a dealer.

...I'll probably get her on the lift this weekend and pull off the diffuser and panel, check things out and tidy up in there...
ramps are MUCH easier than messing with a lift. especially if they're really tall ones.

become VERY familiar with the lifting procedure is you do decide to lift her up. you do not want to be qball part deux.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 4-post Rotary lift in the garage. Getting the car up is a snap.

Had her up yesterday. There were two small drips sitting at the bottom of the bellhousing, next to the oil pan. No trails to it or anywhere near it. I saw oil nowhere else. I cleaned that up, and buttoned everything up. Oil smell seems to be gone now.

I didn't specifically check the areas yet that you guys mention since I didnt see the posts till today. But when I go back in to change the oil next week I'll see if the drips re-emerge, and also check the areas you mention.

Doesn't seem to be anything significant. Probably just a couple drips made it down after a slosh into the oil filler neck.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
I have a 4-post Rotary lift in the garage. Getting the car up is a snap.

Had her up yesterday. There were two small drips sitting at the bottom of the bellhousing, next to the oil pan. No trails to it or anywhere near it. I saw oil nowhere else. I cleaned that up, and buttoned everything up. Oil smell seems to be gone now.

I didn't specifically check the areas yet that you guys mention since I didnt see the posts till today. But when I go back in to change the oil next week I'll see if the drips re-emerge, and also check the areas you mention.

Doesn't seem to be anything significant. Probably just a couple drips made it down after a slosh into the oil filler neck.

Thanks guys!
That's where the oil ends up when coming from the dip stick tube (bad o-ring). Did you have drop of oil at the base of the oil filter as well? ;)

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
My Exige S had a bad burning plastic smell for the first 500 miles. It finally went away. It was probably the residue on the plastic burning off. Maybe that's what you're smelling?

:shrug:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's where the oil ends up when coming from the dip stick tube (bad o-ring). Did you have drop of oil at the base of the oil filter as well? ;)

No, the filter was fine.

I'll report back after the oil change. If it doesn't recur I'll be put at ease. If the drops are back then I'll investigate the o-ring repair.

Thx!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts