The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread may seem redundant however in all of my searches, I did not find this particular scenario so here' goes. I am up to my annual PM on the car (oil & filter, brake and clutch flush). On the brake and clutch bleed, I am now installing the speed bleeders I bought but am still combo bleeding with the Gunson for pressure and a hand vacuum pump at each fitting. I started with the slave cylinder. When I opened the screw, no fluid came out. I removed the fitting and still no fluid. I re-installed the factory screw and applied 25 inches of vacuum and boosted the Gunson to 20lbs of pressure (usually 10psi works fine) still no fluid flow. Bear in mind, I had just backed the car into the garage and jacked it up just before this. I went into the house, ate a sandwich, drank some coffee and searched the forum. Saw a note about raising the reservoir higher than the slave cylinder so I raised the front. Nada. Saw another bit about the clutch pedal needing to be all the way up for fluid to flow. It was but I lassoed a slip knot around it and tied it to the steering wheel. No joy. So, with the last piece of information I had, (pumping the clutch pedal to bleed) I untied the sting and reached into the car with a broom stick (PVC actually) and jogged the pedal once, (just a nudge). I heard a soft "cluck" like sound and my vacuum at the fitting started to drop with fluid flowing into the drain fluid container. I killed pressure on the Gunson and replaced the bleed fitting with the speed bleeder I bought. I re-applied just vacuum which at a 1/2" turn open pulled fluid past the check valve like I'm accustomed to seeing. Adding the Gunson pressurized at 10psi now I had nice fluid flow. How do you like them apples? It had me going for a while I'll tell you. Oh, and now that she's all done, clutch and brake function is tip-top. Thanks for listening to my tale of woe!

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,646 Posts
That's a good tip to remember if I run into that situation!

I swear we will all be Elige Guru's asked to come down from the mountains someday so that our knowledge is not lost.

Oh wait! We live in the digitial/ information age, it will never be lost!

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,466 Posts
I’m curious if you just introduced air when changing the bleeder out and it took a bit to push that volume of air out. Always nice to have anoher thing to try though as I too bleed clutch/brake fluid by myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts